Roksan K3 Looks impressive

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
whilst looking around my local hifi store the other week i noticd the new Roksan K3 integrated amp, the new look is very impressive but has anyone actually heard it yet? if so whats your opinion?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The new K3 does look impressive, but, I wonder how it compares to the K2BT? To be honest I don't really understand why Roksan has three similar amps out on the market now, the K2, K2BT and the new K3. All three of these amps seem so similar to each other. I wonder what makes them different in parts and sound quality.

Vladimir to the rescue?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Apparently its the same amplifier with a new face plus a few hundred quid.

Having said that, even small changes in the circuit/signal path could make a difference.

In a time when Naim, Cyrus etc all have integrated amplifiers/streamers/DAC's out there perhaps the K3 is a missed opportunity? There certainly is enough space in there for more.but the financial resources required are probably rather large.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Can't understand why any manufacturer bringing a new range of Amps out don't include an integrated DAC the cost is minimal.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Do Roksan make a DAC or a streamer? Seems to me they are soldiering on with the CD system, my Roksan K2 CD player was sold over a year ago & although I have still a Cyrus transport I can't remember the last time I used a CD apart from ripping & have never missed it - IMO they need a DAC/Streamer in their line-up which I might be tempted to go for.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with Myers. I was just thinking the same thing. I really like Roksan products but they seem to be falling behind the times recently. The inclusion of BT is a nice feature but why no DAC? More curious is that Roksan would come out with the new K3 CD player, a machine that already has a DAC, but then not offer digital inputs and USB for it. For the price they charge for the K3 CD player it's a bit of insult really. Any CD player over 500 pounds sould have digital inputs these days. In fact I don't think Roksan even makes a stand alone DAC let alone a Streamer.

I do like NAD's approach with their digital and phono MDC modules. Just buy one when you're ready and when new digital tech comes about then you don't have to get rid of the entire amp.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The K2 BT was/is a transition product, something many manufacturers do.

For example AKG created the K702 65th Aniversary model headphones with limited 3000 units, as an improved version of the standard K702 cans. Those 3000 units quickly got sold out and the next year the manufacturer launched K712Pro, which is the same headphone as the limited K702 Aniversary, but this is with unlimited production and with different color scheme, plus higher price tag. And to no surprise, a crowd gathered on the head-fi forums to throw eggs at AKG for doing this.

The only difference with Roksan is the K2BT didn't sell out yet in the stores so it runs along with the K2 and K3 untill it sells out. The K3 got new loks and higher price tag, so it's not competing with the K2BT as the same product. Everyone complained how K2 had a dire design and didn't suite everyone. Well problem solved with the German made K3 plates. It's an improved K2 amplifier + BT connectivity + with better looks. I'm not surprised it costs more.

There is a standalone full 430mm wide K3 DAC, so adding a DAC facility in the K3 integrated wouldn't be the most clever way of doing things.

SteveR750

Myers said:
Do Roksan make a DAC or a streamer? Seems to me they are soldiering on with the CD system, my Roksan K2 CD player was sold over a year ago & although I have still a Cyrus transport I can't remember the last time I used a CD apart from ripping & have never missed it - IMO they need a DAC/Streamer in their line-up which I might be tempted to go for.

The K3 range includes a stand alone DAC. Should be in the shoip around June apparently. That's why there is no DAC built in, and likewise, I think the K3 series is a window dressing and upselling (extra boxes). There are much better value alternatives once you add it all up. I'd have preferred that they had enhanced the M2 range, but I'm guessing that's not where the sales volumes and profit is for them. Disappointed slightly, but it's not my business, and agfter today's session I won't be a customer for much longer.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Myers said:
Can't understand why any manufacturer bringing a new range of Amps out don't include an integrated DAC the cost is minimal.

Yes, the DAC is cheap but printing circuit boards and obtaining new EC approvals etc is not though in Vlad's video of Roksan Factory it looks like they print their own and I believe you can self-certify (until something goes wrong).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I suspect the reason it doesn't include a DAC is at this price the customer can afford to buy a DAC separately, and will probably want to choose their own. If it was a £300 amp then a DAC built-in makes the utmost of sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts