Roksan K1 MKIII, Worthwhile Upgrade?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I have seen a Roksan Kandy K1 MKIII in mint condition secnd hand for £269. My wife has said she would treat me to this as an early xmas present
grin.gif

The thing is, would the Roksan be a worthwhile upgrade over my current Arcam A65 (not plus version)?

I listen to Rock/Metal, Hip Hop and R&B and wonderd if this would fit in well with my style of music?

Would the Roksan drive my speakers ok? They are 6ohms and 90db sensativity.

I know the speakers may be the weakest link in my system and hope to upgrade to some Monitor Audios in the near future.

Thanks

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Overdose.

Do you know if the Roksan would be a good match for my speakers and my taste in music?

Thanks

Gareth82 said:

Do you know if the Roksan would be a good match for my speakers and my taste in music?

Thanks

As I previously mentioned the older Kandys are immensely gutsy. This is, IMHO, their achilles heel: The Wharfedales you have are big brutes and that may work against the Kandy's talents.

Is there any chance of demo'ing before commiting?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Gareth82 said:

Thanks

The most important factor about any amplifier, is its ability to drive the speakers. In general terms, a more powerful amlifier is better able to control the speakers and the Kandy will do a great job.

As for your taste in music, it shouldn't make any difference, the only possible variable is the colouration that it may give to the sound either side of neutral. This colouration will be most noticeable when you replace your speakers.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I can demo the amp before buying but it wouldn't be with my speakers, it would be with whichever speakers they have instore.

I know my speakers may not be the best and i could always upgrade them in the future. On the plus side the Roksan is only £269 so if i buy it and don't get on with it i could always re-sell it as i have seen they go for £350 on ebay.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I can demo the amp before buying but it wouldn't be with my speakers, it would be with whichever speakers they have instore.

I know my speakers may not be the best and i could always upgrade them in the future. On the plus side the Roksan is only £269 so if i buy it and don't get on with it i could always re-sell it as i have seen they go for £350 on ebay.

You're speakers are goodies but the ideal system is about a congenial sonic marriage. Can you not lug your Wharfies to the shop/supplier?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't get them there as they are too big and heavy, plus the shop is quiet a long way away and currently don't drive.

The thing is that the Roksan i that i came by it by chance and it seems to be quiet a good deal so i'm thinking do i get it and see how it goes or do i leave it. Because it is second hand and not new i need to make my mind up before someone else snaps it up.

I would only really change my Arcam if it was condisderd an upgrade and not downgrade.

I do like my Wharfedales but would change them if needed. I do like my bass and they are very bass heavy and i would never need a subwoofer, they can be abit bright sometimes but that is why i have got a amp with tone controls so i can change the bass/treble. I now the Roksan doesn't have any tone controls so i'm not sure how the speakers would sound.

Thanks for all the help you have given me PP as you have always commented on my posts and it's good that you have had an experience with Arcam and have heard many other amps and can give me your views.

Gareth82 said:
I can't get them there as they are too big and heavy, plus the shop is quiet a long way away and currently don't drive.

The thing is that the Roksan i that i came by it by chance and it seems to be quiet a good deal so i'm thinking do i get it and see how it goes or do i leave it. Because it is second hand and not new i need to make my mind up before someone else snaps it up.

I would only really change my Arcam if it was condisderd an upgrade and not downgrade.

I do like my Wharfedales but would change them if needed. I do like my bass and they are very bass heavy and i would never need a subwoofer, they can be abit bright sometimes but that is why i have got a amp with tone controls so i can change the bass/treble. I now the Roksan doesn't have any tone controls so i'm not sure how the speakers would sound.

Thanks for all the help you have given me PP as you have always commented on my posts and it's good that you have had an experience with Arcam and have heard many other amps and can give me your views.

No probs - The Roksan Kandy is one of my favourite sub-£1,000 integrateds.

I'll expect a change to your sig over the next few days...
smiley-wink.gif

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if no one has beat me to it then i may be picking it up tomorrow
grin.gif

I am going to go digital so i am thinking of getting a Cambridge Audio NP30 and maybe adding a Matrix Mini i-Dac, this way i can have my sapce saving option as the Cambridge Audio and Matrix are small and still stick to the benefits of seperates.

Just out of interestcan you remember the RRP of the Arcam A65 and Rosan Kandy?

Gareth82 said:
Yes, if no one has beat me to it then i may be picking it up tomorrow
grin.gif

I am going to go digital so i am thinking of getting a Cambridge Audio NP30 and maybe adding a Matrix Mini i-Dac, this way i can have my sapce saving option as the Cambridge Audio and Matrix are small and still stick to the benefits of seperates.

Just out of interestcan you remember the RRP of the Arcam A65 and Rosan Kandy?

Only the A65 Plus. That originally retailed at £370 back in 2004 (I think) and the Kandy MKIII was originally £550.

Good luck, pp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts