Roksan Caspian vs Naim XS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I´ve been thinking about upgrading my equipment with a new amp and CD player for quite a long time. Until now I have been pretty sure to buy Naim XS. However in the July issue of What HiFi the Roksan Caspian M1 pre + mono blocs was top rated once more. So I was consequently a bit interested. I´ve listened to Naim for several times and is impressed I must say. I have also the possibility to borrow equipment from alocal dealer and evaluate at home. Talking about Roksan I have had some problems to find somewhere to listen. I live in the southest part of Sweden and we have only one Roksan dealer in Sweden, in Stockholm 500 km away. However now I have heard that that this dealer has a demo set of Caspian M1 pre and mono blocs for sale. The price is resonable compared to a new integrated Caspian M2 amp. Eventually I will also buy a new M2 CD-player in that case.

My questions are now

1 Has anyone compared Naim XS with Roksan Caspian? Is there a big difference in the type of sound? Today I have a pair of Canton RC-L speakers. They have a very deep and tight bass, fullbodied in the middle, and rather bright at the top.

2 Do you think I should go for the demo combo (pre + monoblocs) or a new M2 integrated amp if my choice falls on Roksan? The M2 amp is also recently top tested in What. The M2 series has a balanced connection between CD and amp, the M1 hasn´t.

3 Those out there who owns Caspian stuff, are you satisfied and can recomend me to take the inconvineince to try to visit the dealer in Stockholm. Unfortunately it will be impossible to borrow that stuff like I can do with Naim

My equipment today

Harman Kardon HK6650 integrated amp, Pioneer PD-901 CD, Canton RC-L speakers, Atlas Equator Superior interconnect, Supra 3.4 speakercable

//Thomas

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why not buy something you already know you like from a supportive local dealer? (Rather than some 'bargain' that you are unfamiliar with - and have to buy without listening first - from a dealer 500km away.)

No-one here can tell you if one is better than the other, to your ears in your home. I have not heard Roksan equipment so I cannot comment on their relative merits.

But bear in mind the advantages of supporting a local dealer by buying something you already like, and the convenience of having him close by if something ever goes wrong with your purchase.

I would say the same thing if the situation was reversed* and your local dealer stocked Roksan and the Naim gear was 500km away instead.
*Yes I have a Naim system but not a Naim 'agenda'.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby,

I suppose I needed to hear this. To be honest has nearly the exact thoughts gone trough my head. I suppose I was caught up by the WHF review at first and when I found the "bargain" as you say I was even more trigged. But I agree with what you say. I fact it is worth a lot with the presence of the local dealer an the posiibilities connected with that. Itïs also far to lot money to spend on a dark horse. In Sweden we call it "to buy the pig in the sack".

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
thomasb,does your local dealer sell Hegel? i can highly reconmend there amps,i have no relationship to them,thought you might like to try a high quaility scandinavian product,i think prices are like the roskan kit.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

in fact yes! He has H70 and H100 for demo. For the moment there is also a offer; H200 together with DAC HD10 (which should be a highlight). Perhaps I should try them out.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
thomasb

The h70 ive had since the middle of august and it gets better every week,im more than pleased.I must admit i have nothing to compare it with,its my first ever amp.

A friend bought the h200 with the h10 2 weeks ago,it was on a special offer from soundgarden,i have had a ggod listen fantastic but not cheap!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts