Rock music awaiting a stellar hi-fi system

Darth Vinyl

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
I listen to a variety of rock music, mainly from the 80's era. I have kept myself up-to-date with hi-fi since then. However, I always find that reviews tell you which equipment is great to buy for various budgets but with listening to a range of various media, i.e., vinyl, CD's and DVD's it is very hard to target the ultimate set up, especially the amplifier. I have been looking at the Quad, Cyrus and Naim equipment for sometime but overall I don't wish to pick anything that is "clinical" and has no life in it. Can anyone help?

A

Anonymous

what is ur budget ,what size is ur room and do u want floor standers or bookshelf speakers

Darth Vinyl

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I only have a modest size room, 13' x 11 with fitted wardrobes down one side and wood/carpet floor. I'm looking at something sub £6000 with slender floorstand speakers at the front, such as the B+W XT4's. I have to mount the source units vertically on wall fixed 30mm thick shelving but the units of my current arrangement are sat on thick sorbethane (anti-vibration) feet as recommended by Hi-Fi news. However, I am looking at changing everything, (turntable, amp, CD/DVD etc.,), so the overall budget is tight.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ignoring the reference to something to do with news, I'd say this is a classic job for a Naim system. Try a CD5x and the NAC122x/NAP150x combo, with the B&W speakers, and then think about a DVD player such as the new Denon DVD-1940.

Don't know what the existing turntable is, but you'll need a Naim Stageline to play it through the amps. Hard to advise on a turntable upgrade without knowing what you have at present...

Darth Vinyl

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll check those out. At the moment, I have a Dual CS 728Q turntable (direct drive) with a Goldring stylus. This has not many hours on it but the turntable has respectfully served me for nearly 25 years but now I can't get spares for it anymore. It's time to let go. Therefore, I was thinking of upgrading to either a Rega P3 or getting something like a Project RPM 5. However, its the stylus that concerns me. I don't trust some products that are "included in the package" so to speak. Can anyone give advise so I can get that great sound?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts