Rock Music and Systems.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is system matchin and quality of system, be it one box or seperates, as critiical if you only listen to rock music? Surely classical and other more testing genres of music require more high end systems. I`m not knocking rock music because thats mostly what i listen to.

A

Anonymous

I got Denon DM 37 one box job, with Q-Acoustic 1010 speakers. Not looking to change at mo, it was just a general question. wondered what peoples thoughts were on the subject.

Baldybonce:I got Denon DM 37 one box job, with Q-Acoustic 1010 speakers. Not looking to change at mo, it was just a general question. wondered what peoples thoughts were on the subject.

Seperates all the way for rock. Depends, however, on prospective budget, what type of rock etc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replies Plastic Penguin. I not got much space for seperates otherwise i`d go down that route. Whats your taste in music?

Baldybonce:Thanks for replies Plastic Penguin. I not got much space for seperates otherwise i`d go down that route. Whats your taste in music?

Literally allsorts, from Glenn Miller and other big band music through to 60's brit pop, Motown, Stax, Zepplin, Rainbow, Crowded House, Newton Faulkner etc.

The system I have does all that very well and some....for the money, it's difficult to beat. As always this is according to my ears and others on the forum might eat me alive.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

my view is that Rock is no different than any other type of music and if anything its harder for a system to reproduce in a convincing way. I love my system but it is Rock and ironically classical music that challenges the system the most to produce a real convincing sound.

matthewpiano

Knowing how far to go is very difficult, whatever types and styles of music you listen to.

I have very eclectic tastes including copious amounts of classical music but also plenty of classic and modern rock, folk music, and jazz. I've had all sorts of hi-fi gear here over the last 3 or 4 years and found that, from my perspective, you can go too far.

I certainly agree with PP that seperates are the way to go but I do believe that you can get to the point where the hi-fi over-disects the recordings and it no longer becomes enjoyable. The Cambridge 740A/MS Mezzo 2 combination and an earlier 740C/740A/MS914i set-up were particularly good examples of this. With really good recordings both could sound superb but with classic rock recordings or less perfect orchestral recordings the music was compromised by the deficiencies in the recording being highlighted.

With two seperate Arcam systems (CD73/A65+/Quad 11Ls and CD73/A70/Tannoy Sensys 1) I felt that the sound was so refined that it became almost bland and lacking in excitement. Conversely a set-up of Denon DCD1500AE/PMA1500AE and various different speakers over-egged the treble and bass and made listening a tiring experience.

The best systems I've had for all-round musical enjoyment? Marantz CD63SE KI Signature/Pioneer A400/Quad 11Ls and my present set-ups (main one in my signature and 2nd one a Technics SLP477a/SU-V55a/KEF C30). All 3 are amongst the cheapest set-ups I've had here but somehow unquantifiably 'right' sounding. More revealing than a micro type system but retaining an organic approach which shows the quality of really good recordings but maintains a good level of listenability to even the worst whether that be recordings of Free or some of Deutsche Gramophon's less well engineered orchestral and operatic recordings.

These systems play all styles of music well and can portray the tonal qualities of an orchestra as well as its huge dynamic swings. They can also bring out the rawness of a good classic rock record without it descending into harshness, or provide a nice sense of intimacy when listening to a solo vocalist.

Its also a very very personal thing. PP loves his CD73/A65+ combo and I didn't like mine. Neither of us is right or wrong and I can tell from PP's posts that the pleasure he gets from his system is based on a genuine enjoyment of and love for the music he listens to.

To me, that is what good hi-fi is all about.

Matt is correct in that the Arcam can sound a little err....hi-fiy. That's the reason why I chose the RS6's, because they seem to do the subtle things well - and they really rock, probably better than anything within its price range.

Now the RX range has marched onto the scene, the RS6's are going for silly money (according to a recent thread).

idc

IMHO the secret to rock music is to have a system that controls the bass, has detail and an attacking edge to it.

My present setup initially sounds bass light. But that is because it is very tight and does not bloom and muddy the bass to lower midrange of the music. I get great detail with things like a kick drum which sounds really clear as the notes start and stop very quickly. That then gives the music a dynamic edge and that suits rock music. A lot of rock music has a wall of sound recording style and detail, by which I mean being able to hear everything that is going on, means the sound is given a lift away from it all sounds at one level.

Baldybounce, for a one box rock system I would look to an ipod and Bose Sounddock. The bass on the Bose is very well controlled. For example the opening of Massive Atttack's track 'Angel' distorts on every set up I have heard, except the Sounddock. It also has detail as there is a 'meow' sound at 29 seconds which is clearly sounded.

If you go down the spearates route, whatever the system, you want to pay attention to the speakers. Making sure they are secured on decent stands that themselves are on a secure base and watch how they are positioned. Moving a speaker closer or away from a wall, corner can make a big difference. The aim is to make the speaker able to handle the dynamics of good rock music.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I can't think of any genre that doesn't benefit from a decent system. I listen to quite a lot of rock and even the Macc Lads gain a little something on my setup. That said, I guess if Napalm Death is your thing you'd be wasting time and money!

jaxwired:

plastic penguin: Newton Faulkner

Dude, how great is his debut album? Simply fantastic. And the recording is pristine. One of my all time favorites.

newtoncake.jpg

Superb from a musical point of view and sonically.

If you want to test the balance and detail of your system, then this is the kiddie.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all replies everybody. Couldnt join in yesterday! Wind kept putting leccy off. I just thought it was an interesting topic for forums. No dont like Napalm Death, thats not my scene. Like Zep, Floyd, Rush, Purple. Planet rock thats ok, would be even better on FM..

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano you should try sonus faber on he end of your system youl wet yourself

matthewpiano

one off:matthewpiano you should try sonus faber on he end of your system youl wet yourself

Well I hope I don't wet myself (!), but I have always fancied a pair of Sonus Fabers. I've also thought about Opera speakers as well. I'll need to be using a better amp though. I've been having another play around with my collection of kit this afternoon, funnily enough.

A

Anonymous

Matt, a slight aside but I always thought that you'd like the Spendor S3e and at 500 quid for a new pair (ebay) they're a steal.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
andrewknight:That said, I guess if Napalm Death is your thing you'd be wasting time and money!

emotion-40.gif

Metal, just like any other genre, has great and not so great recordings. And they all sound significantly better on a decent system than not.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
andrewknight:That said, I guess if Napalm Death is your thing you'd be wasting time and money!

emotion-40.gif

Metal, just like any other genre, has great and not so great recordings. And they all sound significantly better on a decent system than not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts