Rip off UK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chris lowe:Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. I met the owner and told him i was browsing and comparing prices, even though i wasnt there to buy he spent just over an hour with me taking about the US market. Anyways what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model! Bryston amps a fraction of the UK price and by a fraction i mean around a 1/3 less. I then thought about buying something as these prices were to good to be true so I bought a pair of Audioquest Jaguars for £130 the best in the UK i can find is £249 plus p+p and its a great cable although i have only been using it for a full day it seams to be impeccable in all areas, even the boss (wife) noticed a change which was described as not booming and the voices sound cleaner! This guy was most helpful i kid you not its a shame UK dealers are not the same! Oh and before i forget i asked a number of electrical dealers who is winning the format war between blue ray and hd dvd, blue ray is out selling hd by considerable margins

The reason the HD DVD player was £70 is because Toshiba dropped the technology two years ago - it's a dead format!

I can't see why anyone would expect to pay a price for an imported piece of kit just based on an exchange rate? So what if a product retails at $2000 in the states and £2000 here? Do you think a UK distributor pays a vastly different price to the manufacturer at wholesale? He has to stump up for the import taxes, premises and staff for his operation, make a profit and not to mention providing a review sample or two which he will probably never see any return on. And thats before you start taking into account a dealer network which has to cover it's own costs and make a profit.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bodfish:chris lowe:Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model!

The reason the HD DVD player was £70 is because Toshiba dropped the technology two years ago - it's a dead format!

Guh, look at the date on his post, it WAS two years ago!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:Bodfish:chris lowe:Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model!

Guh indeed lhc, mea cupla!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bodfish:the_lhc:Bodfish:chris lowe:Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model!

Can I just say a hearty "thank you!" for taking that in the spirit it was intended, a light hearted chuckle, unlike everybody else here who probably thought I was being a heartless bully (isn't that right dim_span?).

Of course it would help if I remembered that when I'm using firefox at home the smileys DO work, unlike with Chrome...

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:Bodfish:the_lhc:Bodfish:chris lowe:Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model!

Can I just say a hearty "thank you!" for taking that in the spirit it was intended, a light hearted chuckle, unlike everybody else here who probably thought I was being a heartless bully (isn't that right dim_span?).

Of course it would help if I remembered that when I'm using firefox at home the smileys DO work, unlike with Chrome...

Oh, I do think you're a heartless bully, I'm just messing with your head
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bodfish:the_lhc:Bodfish:the_lhc:Bodfish:The reason the HD DVD player was £70 is because Toshiba dropped the technology two years ago - it's a dead format!

Oh, I do think you're a heartless bully, I'm just messing with your head
emotion-5.gif

Oh.

I shall be in the corner, sobbing quietly...

TRENDING THREADS