Revolver turntable - any good?

pekers678

May 24, 2008
Visit site
In my search for a good second hand turntable for no more than £150 I've come across a Revolver turntable for £150. This is right at the top of my price range, but is it any good? From what I can gather from my research, Revolver were a small outfit who saw some reasonable success in the 70/80s, with their only turntable being a direct rival to the Rega Planar 2.

I haven't, however, been able to find any actual reviews on the item - so anyone's input is greatly appreciated.

T

the record spot

It likely sounds like the Revolver Rebel, which was around £200 back in the 80s/90s - Revolver are still with us, produce some excellent speakers and in the last 18 months I think, turned out a high end turntable which has been well reviewed.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I had the original Revolver turntable something like 25 years ago. Fitted it with a Linn Basik arm (can't remember which cartridge I added), powered by a NAD 30 something amp and running Mission 77 speakers. Fitted it with a quality turntable mat over the supplied one (the platter was made out of particle board or something) and loved it! Doubt it's the one you're looking at but happy days! lol

John Duncan

There were two of them - the Revolver and the cheaper Revolver Rebel. I think the easiest way to tell the dfference was 'bevelling' on the plinth, but I can't swear on that. Mine had a Rega arm on it, and I chose it over a Systemdek IIX at the time. It died a few years ago, having basically given up being able to turn at 33rpm, so I chucked it away and replaced it with.....a Systemdek IIX.

150 quid is too much though. 100 tops.

A

Anonymous

Revolver are still going great guns at the moment under different owners from the Revolver Rebel era, the latest turntable the Replay is in the High-End of turntables and sounds superb, the Rebel would still make a great entry level turntables, it still uses the very good Jelco tonearm, add something like a Audio Technica MM cart and you'll get good sounds.

TRENDING THREADS