Returned the Marantz PM6004..Please help if you can...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am returning the Marantz PM6004. I could not get it to sound as good as I wanted. I also had in the back of my mind that I really wanted the bigger PM8004. Since I needed more power to run the speakers that I will get down the road. My intentions were this alone...This, by the way are the first Marantz products I owend. I have always had Onkyo but wasn't a fan of their sound for music in the past... Fast forward a couple of days. Took a change on a $277.00 dollar Harmon Kardon 3490 to get my by for a few weeks before the PM8004 arrived...Well.....Holy cow. This thing sounds fantastic. I get a great balance of highes and lows. The mid tones are a little lower like I like. This is with my currant Klipsch RF82's.. Love the sound of the Harmon Kardon. I can not descripe the sound since I am a novice to HI-FI... The Marantz is a little cleaner sounding. No hiss or noise of any type. The Harmon has some.....MY issue that I have is this is a cheap built China unit. I want a very good quality product that will last like the Marantz. Better build quality and a solid no noise, hiss type amp.

Can anyone reccomend an Amp that is warm or good sounding like the HK. I want an integrated with power to spare. No more than $1200.00 US dollars...Help, Help...

Love the Harmon sound. Don't like the cheap build.

A

Anonymous

Focal speakers in the future. Maybe. I am also looking at Axiom and a few others Like B&W

The hiss is in the speakers. You can hear it between songs and a little during. Very little I might add.

Cd player is Marantz CD6004

Should havve kept it simple an just asked what is a high quality amp under 1200 that sounds like a Harmon Kardon. Or in the same range

ematthews said:
Focal speakers in the future. Maybe. I am also looking at Axiom and a few others Like B&W

The hiss is in the speakers. You can hear it between songs and a little during. Very little I might add.

Cd player is Marantz CD6004

Should havve kept it simple an just asked what is a high quality amp under 1200 that sounds like a Harmon Kardon. Or in the same range

Right, all amps expel a little hiss.

I've not heard the HK amps but if you want quality build and sound worthy of the price tag then my Leema Pulse MKII certainly covers those areas. Originally retailed a tad under £1300 now being sold new for: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-NEW-/170741675196?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27c0ff34bc

IMHO, it's the best sub-£2,000 integrated amp I've heard.

A

Anonymous

If you like the HK, why not try the HK 980 or even 990? I think all too often people look at star ratings and go for the obvious components, when other options are just as good if not better.

Also, being mde in China isn't relevant. All it means is the unit costs less than one made more locally, so if you're lucky you get more for your money.

T

the record spot

"Cheap built China unit" isn't relevant. The manufacturing facilities that HK (and by the same consideration, Marantz, Cambridge Audio and a whole bunch of others) use in China all have to follow the hiring firm's quality assurance and manufacturing standards and in any case, they'll be as good as anywhere. In effect, manufacturers - or some anyway - are looking to reduce the cost base and major overheads, but maintain the underlying quality of their product. The HK3490 is a good amp, but a year or two off the pace now. If you don't need additional digital inputs for other sources and a good beefy amp, then it'll be fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Guess I am cought up in the more the price the better it is and better built. I will give the HK a long time try. I won't return it since it was so cheap and sounds great. With all that said, can anyone list a few brands that have nice warm full sounding amps....

A

Anonymous

You should try Arcam A-18... it has a full warm sound. With good interconnect and wires, the musical background is especially "black", nothing but the sound of music... That being said, you should also give a try to the PM8004 when your dealer will receive it, might be a good buy too. Arcam is 50 wpc, one could think it's low but hear it before putting it aside... the amp beats any low end 75 wpc amp you might find. I tried it side by side with Yamaha AS-500 (85 wpc), same interconnect and speaker wires, driving Monitor Audio BX5 and Paradigm Studio 60... could get a little more power from the Yam but at the expense of fullness and warmth. Yam is kinda bright, a good CD player and wires can level it a little, but for the little power you get more, Arcam A-18 is way better, all warm and full, yet clear and detailed. Should cost around 1000$ US. I could even get something out of monsters like the Studio 60, made for handling up to 250 watts or something... Clipping comes way faster, though. A-18 should fit quite well with CD-6004, giving you way more than the 35wpc PM6004 could (although it is a good amplifier). A-18 is a great looking, solid amp too, clear digits, smooth yet resistive volume knob, highly satisfying. Volume scaling is perfect, no sudden leap. Pure Direct gives you an even fuller sound (though subtle), but also a clear gain at higher volume, something you might appreciate. Only thing A-18 won't give you is that spare power... it'll give you enough.

Perhaps Cambridge Audio Azur 650A could do well too... A little less expensive, a little more powerful, but as for warmth... Probably the suggestion of a pricier, better made Harmon Kardon was a good one too, if you already like what you have now.

Maybe you should think about a Power amp, or biamping, if you want more power, warmness and detail. Some combo out there will get you what you want.

A long run with your actual amp might prove enough too. In any case, good luck!

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hiya,plastic penguin. You seem very familiar with the Leema Pulse. I am considering this amp, but WHF`s review of my M.Short Mezzo 6`s clearly states " Beware of partnering them with bright-sounding kit " . Is the Leema one of those ??? How do you think would drive the Mezzo`s ??? Thanks , and appologies to ematthews for changing the subdject .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts