Retirement plans

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hoping to retire in June after teaching for 37 years.*biggrin* Will be in the market for new amp and slim floorstanders for a smallish front room. All types of music, currently have Spendor A3 and Arcam A 38. I do like the sound, never any fatigue, but feel that the combination may be a little too 'warm' and the bass can be rather soft and inprecise.

Shorlist to audition so far include -

PMC 25/23, Spendor A4/A7, Proac D20R

Musical Fidelity M6S, Hegel Rost, Leema Pulse

What combo do people think may work well?

Best wishes

Paul

The world is your oyster.

I'd also have a look at the Moon Neo Ace or 240i along with the Hegel Rost or Technics SU-G90. Amplifiers that are relatively neutral tend to work with a wide range of loudspeakers, regardless of their tonal representation. Warmer amplifiers, or lean sounding amplifiers tend to suit certain speakers, usually cancelling out excessive warmth or brightness. As long as the amplifier is in control of the speaker, choose what you prefer the sound of.

Speakers are far more personal. Along with those excellent PMCs, the Ophidian Prophet P2, Amphion Argon 7LS, and Larsen 6.2 are worthy of being thrown into the mix. All of these approach things in slightly different ways, and bring something different to the end result.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
Hoping to retire in June after teaching for 37 years.*biggrin* Will be in the market for new amp and slim floorstanders for a smallish front room. All types of music, currently have Spendor A3 and Arcam A 38. I do like the sound, never any fatigue, but feel that the combination may be a little too 'warm' and the bass can be rather soft and inprecise.

Shorlist to audition so far include -

PMC 25/23, Spendor A4/A7, Proac D20R

Musical Fidelity M6S, Hegel Rost, Leema Pulse

What combo do people think may work well?

Best wishes

Paul

Firstly, congrats on your retirement... I'm hoping to do similar this year too

The only speaker I've heard from your list are the ProAcs, excellent speakers and should work well with either of the amps.

Another speaker to try would be Harbeth SHL5+ or if budget allows the 40th anniversary model. Also, the 30.2 model is suppose to be special.

As regards the amps, all that you've listed are very good... you could also consider Electrocompaniet, Sugden and Exposure.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You should hear current Arcam Class G Amps...which keep that Arcam musicality, but give much more excitement and 'bite"

Other Amps you might like, especially with ProAc, would be Sugden and Pathos. Croft and Lavardin are also very good.

On the speaker front, you might also consider Kef R500, SF Venere + Mac's suggestion of Harbeth.

If looking for a Source - then Linn DS would be my suggestion.

Samd

and I can tell you, there will be no time for music!
wink_smile.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would keep your current speakers and buy a better amplifier I would look the Arcam A39 and Arcam 49 which you should get a very good deal on both models but Arcam A49 you would be getting 50 watts of class A which would be a lot cheaper then buying a sugden 21se

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Then I would advise parasound halo integrated. Comes with a good dac and a decent phono stage too. Much more powerful than the 160 watts would suggest. In my 6 months of ownership, I could never faze it at any volume with any music. Absolutely neutral. But a bit mellow. Please add to your audition list. Do not go by the usual perception that this is just another American muscle amp. The reviews will attest to its audiophile sound. All the best....and enjoy your well deserved retirement :)

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul. You could try something entirely different. I am pausing to put my hard hat on as I expect to receive a lot of flack from folk who haven’t listened to a (properly set up) system of the type I am about to suggest.

Like you I enjoyed an Arcam-Spendor set-up for many years, but felt the need for a faster, more detailed sound. Almost by accident I heard a pair of Devialet Phantoms at my HiFi dealers and was bowled over by them. They gave me everything I wished for, and more.

I have had a pair of Phantoms for two and a half years now and have no desire to ‘upgrade’. No ‘combo’ worries, no need for fancy wires, no tweaking. Just plug them in and play. I tend to play classical chamber music which has a lot of precise detail; they might not be ideal for other music genres.

Retirement is a time for new ideas, a break from old routines, old conventions. (I have thirteen years of retirement!) Go see what is out there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts