Replacing TDL RTL3 speakers.

GerryMadd

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I would also like some advice re: speaker upgrade.

I currently have an Arcam A80 amp with a P80 power amp, coupled with the CD72. My current speakers are TDL RTL3 Floorstanders which are Bi-Wired. I am thinking about replacing the speakers, and I would appreciate any advice. It's been a while since I've been HiFI shopping.

Colz

Nov 2, 2004
Visit site
Gerry

I have a pair of RTL3s and RTL3 SEs and I've heard very little over the past 12 years that matches their bass. I recently swapped the RTL3s out of my AV system and replaced them with KEF Q7s and they we more than a cut below the TDLs. I would recommend trying out a super tweeter with the RTL3s before replacing them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You should change the RTL's. I remember them well and really can't say much good about them. Cheap, resonant and harsh, horrible tweeters but now the bad news ... they're also huge and ugly. Your saving grace is your arcam's which help reigning those tweeters and a forward balance in.

RTL made some decent upmarket TL's, the 3's are not one of them. These days you have a wide choice of quality speakers and they start imo at around £350 for an Epos (or £200 for the MA BR2's if you listen to some other forum members).

Just book a dem with a dealer that has a reasonable selection, bring your system and listen to a few.

A

Anonymous

They cant be that bad a speaker can they?

or do you just mean compared to newer speakers or did you never like them, i seem to remember what hi fi liking them and giving them 5 stars

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]

They cant be that bad a speaker can they?

or do you just mean compared to newer speakers or did you never like them, i seem to remember what hi fi liking them and giving them 5 stars

[/quote]

We all make mistakes and they're only human too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... I just add to that as to not come across as rude again ...

If I remember right they retailed for around 400 quid in the early/mid nineties. A lot of bang for your bucks and really, if memory serves well, that just about sums them up. They go loud but with zero refinement. A bit like Cervin Vegas and I would'nt like them in my living room either. No offence meant to the poster of this thread, its just an opinion and I'm sure there are people that'll disagree ...
emotion-1.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
well drummerman i for one disagree i have the rtl 2's, great little speakers. fit a pair of morel tweeters for around £60.00 and instant upgrade but even in standard mode still good speakers.

GerryMadd

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
No offence taken mate, I have to disagree on refinement though. When I got my Arcam kit, I started hearing things on a variety of well played CD's that I had not heard before, I'm generally happy with the sound, but I was just wondering if an upgrade would be worth it. Thanks for your reply, Gerry.

A

Anonymous

Colz - I am in the same boat: bought my RTL3SE s as an upgrade to the RTL3 (but still own both)

Been doing a bit of research: Aside from the improved cosmetics the crossovers in the later model are quite different as are the tweeters (the ones in my SE versions are manufactured by Audax)

I reckon the bass and mid of the SE version are better but the top end is definitely missing. It seems this can be corrected by replacing the resitor in the crossover with a lower rated one (the original intention was to match the sound of the Acoustic Energy AE109 beloved of what hi-fi a decade or so ago). I'm not technically minded but it doesn't seem hugely difficult.

I'm also thinking of upgrading the rubbish internal bell wire and swapping the tweeters for some Morel MTD30s for further improvement

Wondered if you or anyone else had any thoughts on any of this?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts