Replacing ProAc 140 - any suggestions?

chalkmuppet

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I have a (relatively new) setup with a cyrus 8xp powering some proac 140 (mk 1). As it burns in, it is sounding lovely, however I think the ProAcs are just a little too big for my room (about 12'x14' ish). Certainly my neighbours are beginning to think so...

does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives that would fit nicely with the cyrus? Both in terms of physical size and size of sound. I was thinking the Spendor A5s (smaller) but not heard them? Or maybe just look at the Studio 130s? Doesnt even have to be floorstanders either.

Thoughts and opinions welcome..

Thanks

Simon

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you like the ProAc sound and are after something smaller, then maybe the new Tablette Anniversary. Beautiful little speaker, IMO the best bookshelf at the 1,000-1,500 quid level.

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify, are the speakers physically too large, or do you think it's the bass that's too loud?

A

Anonymous

Well, generally standmounts have less deep bass, but you may still have the same problem. Might be worth curing/investigating the bass problem first e.g. with damping the plug holes, adding isolation to the bottom of the speakers. However, it is most likely that it is due to them being too close to the wall (<0.8m IMO). Try pulling them further into the room as an experiment. If so, you will be wanting speakers that perform well close to the wall

chalkmuppet

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
There's about 50cm between them and wall. Yeah, will try further in the room, but then definitely intruding a little too much. I had assumed 50cm would be ok. (they're on the longer wall and about 2.3m from listening position as is.) Ta,

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
As the system beds in you will generally only get more bass too. I would say that for the Cyrus gear we have quite good synergy with PMC GB1i's. Nice small speakers, WAF and great sounding. I would say though that the ProAc 130's do need to be a way away from the wall as peteAllan says.

Regards

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have recently been listening to floorstanders and love the 140 mk 2's for the 'problems' you are having.

Other speakers which offered stunning sound with less bass and attack than the Proac's were the PMC GB1i's, I loved quality of these speakers and providing you want less bass and attack I think these would be a better option than the Spendor's which I found very bass light obviously depending on your listening tastes.

As previously suggested if you like the Proac sound maybe worth a listen to the stand mounted Response D2's which may add better midrange at the expense of the bass.

Have fun listening and good luck.

A

Anonymous

I'd be tempted to go for a used pair of B&W 805Ss because they were so beautiful. Not sure they'd go with cyrus tho

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the view that you should exhaust all options for improving the bass problem before swapping them out (eg. positioning).

Are they on a suspended floor and are there any simple measures you can take to improve your room's acoustics re bass absorbtion? Simple bass traps or even a tall plants behind them can help.

chalkmuppet

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I can and will try positioning, first. There are some things I can do with the room, but not a huge amount; hmm, maybe something to break it up a bit though, some wall hangings or something ... have to think.

It's solid floor: laminate over concrete, though with a thick rug in the centre of the listening field. Solid walls too, brick.

A

Anonymous

Try placing them on top of a marble slabs (e.g. chopping boards from argos), with squash balls underneath that.

When I had flabby bass with the sonus fabers, this is what i tried, then added some spike holders (nordost pulsar points but there's cerupucs too), and finally replaced the squash balls with aurio pro max supports - made a huge difference and really opened up the midrange.

Perhaps a bit excessive just for an investigation, but these kind of things are well worth doing as tweaks anyway

A

Anonymous

Basic theory is that spikes etc will conduct vibrations down towards the floor away from the speaker (tightening the bass) whereas isolation like aurio pro max (or to a lesser degree sorbothane) will absorb energy and cut down transmitting vibrations down to the floor (which is what your neighbours will hear). You kinda need both.

chalkmuppet

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
@peteAllen: I have some old tiles, and some sorbathane. I'll try that and if that helps will consider investing in marble slabs/boards.

@all: ok, some wiggling, some behind speaker arrangement, a little more toe-in and a change of listening position has ... done a fair bit actually :)

Still need to do more, but have dropped from boomy to merely bassy, which is a fair improvment (thank you). Am still fiddling so suggestions still welcome. Suspect that speaker shrinkage will be a necessity in the long run, but for the moment I have progress.

:cheers:

Simon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts