Replacing my Marantz SR5000 with PM6005?

Stereoguy76

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I need some advice.

I want to replace my Marantz SR5000 multichannel receiver with an integrated amp. (2 channel). The speakers that I have and want to keep are 2 Monitor Audio S8’s (bought them in 2004).

I like the sound of Marantz. So, is the Marantz PM6005 up to the task? Or should I go a step further e.g. the upcoming PM7005?

Thanks.

Stereoguy76 said:
Hello,

I need some advice.

I want to replace my Marantz SR5000 multichannel receiver with an integrated amp. (2 channel). The speakers that I have and want to keep are 2 Monitor Audio S8’s (bought them in 2004).

I like the sound of Marantz. So, is the Marantz PM6005 up to the task? Or should I go a step further e.g. the upcoming PM7005?

Thanks.

Why do you think the 6005 would not be 'up to the task'? You are replacing a 70 wpc AV amp (that are not generally designed to be utilised for a stereo system) with a 120 wpc stereo integrated amp (that obviously is designed purely for stereo). I think that says it all really.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
regular_smile.gif

manicm

Al ears said:
Stereoguy76 said:
Hello,

I need some advice.

Thanks.

Why do you think the 6005 would not be 'up to the task'? You are replacing a 70 wpc AV amp (that are not generally designed to be utilised for a stereo system) with a 120 wpc stereo integrated amp (that obviously is designed purely for stereo). I think that says it all really.

The PM7005 is not a 120w amp, it's rated at 60w/8ohms. Marantz AV amps have been traditionally good at stereo performance.

manicm said:
Al ears said:
Stereoguy76 said:
Hello,

I need some advice.

Thanks.

The PM7005 is not a 120w amp, it's rated at 60w/8ohms. Marantz AV amps have been traditionally good at stereo performance.

You are quite right regards the 7005 however, at no point in my post did I mention this particular amp.

I, however, was quite wrong about the 6005 ( that will teach me not to go direct to the 'horses mouth' when it comes to specifications.

Based on my experience though I do stick with my comments on Marantz AV amps and stereo.

It might be nice if the OP came back and gave us his reasons for thinking the PM6005 might not be 'up to it'.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
i have just replaced my AS500 yamaha amp with the PM6005, thought it would be a sidways move as its only a little more expensive than the yamaha, I can tell you its sounds more fluid or less 'dry' than the yammy and the hashiness that was apparent on some rock tracks has vanished, a very fine budjet amp. and it seems every bit as powerful, but on paper it has less wattage

Stereoguy76

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
What I meant was if the PM6005 has enough power for my Monitor Audio s8's. I'll use it in my living room which is approx. 500 square feet.

Or do I need al little more power that the PM7005 can provide?

Stereoguy76 said:
What I meant was if the PM6005 has enough power for my Monitor Audio s8's. I'll use it in my living room which is approx. 500 square feet.

Or do I need al little more power that the PM7005 can provide?

That's a heck of a size room for the S8's to fill regardless of the power of the amp driving them. They are very efficient speakers I believe (91dB?) so the slight increase in amplifier w.p.c. is unlikely to make much difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts