Replacing Musical Fidelity B1

Steffan777

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks

My wanderful Musical Fidelity B1 amp is playing-up so I sadly have to replace it.

I'm running a 25 year old set-up inc. Marantz CD60SE and Roger's LS6a speakers. With the B1 the set-up sounded great, really nice an warm!

I think the B1 was £200, the CD £250 (ish) and the speakers £350 (ish) in 1990 (ish) £££'s.

I'd be interested to hear your views on roughly how much I should be spending in todays £££'s to replace the B1 with possible small upgrade in sound quality?

Maybe it would be easy (ie - I should be asking) about the cost of equivalent standard equipment in todays money.

Depending on the response, I suppose I might have to spend a bit more on replacing the whole set-up! :)

Many thanks in anticipation

wondered if anyone could give

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard any of the equipment in your setup so can only talk in general terms.

I think you are going to be looking at significantly more than £200 to get the same/better sound quality.

A good starting point may be the Rega Brio, approx £450, as it is musical and a nice all rounder.

Would you consider second hand?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I used to have a Musical Fidelity A1 Amp about a hundred years ago and loved the warm, approachable sound. - It's what got me into Valve Amps.

I suspect the B1 has a similar sonic signature to the A1, so maybe this is a route you might want to investigate?

TRENDING THREADS