Replacing an old friend (Linn Saras)

Treeboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Any reccomendations as to replacing my Linn Saras? They are still working fine but in order to put them where I would like (ie in the front room) I am having to compremise due thier size, so I'm looking for somthing smaller with a decent bass, but still warm and musical, I am using an all naim system, a little old but again still sounding great.

Any advice gratefully recieved

T

the record spot

Hi Treeboy & welcome to the forum - what kind of thing are you after? I'm not familiar with the Linns...what kind of sound do you want or prefer to hear, what's the room like - presumably quite compact if they can't accommodate the Saras?

Would you get away with a compact floorstander, or is a standmount preferred?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Linn Saras were lovely sounding speakers, and as far as I'm concerned, quite compact! The problem in moving to a smaller speaker is that they will use a smaller drive unit, which will usually be a 6" driver or even less. I think the Sara used an 8" bass driver if I recall correctly, which will shift a lot more air than current standmounts. I'd have said the current equivalent standmounts would be something like the ATC SCM19's, but these are much bigger!

What amplifier are you using?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I think the Sara used an 8" bass driver if I recall correctly, which will shift a lot more air than current standmounts.

Two modified KEF B200 drivers (in each speaker) in an Isobarik arrangement.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby: FrankHarveyHiFi:I think the Sara used an 8" bass driver if I recall correctly, which will shift a lot more air than current standmounts.Two modified KEF B200 drivers (in each speaker) in an Isobarik arrangement.

I know
emotion-1.gif

I forgot to mention the Isobarik aspect of the speaker - I had to come back to the message a few times this morning as it's been ultra busy, and missed it out. But even if it was a single 8" bass driver, there's still not a lot of speakers that would compare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts