Replacing an Arcam set-up with something new...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm seriously toying with the idea of selling my whole Arcam set-up as listed below and going for a whole new system (but keeping my speakers) Would i be mad going for a NAD C355BEE amp and the NAD C542 CDP along with the NAD DAB/FM tuner? With building my AV system as well i've decided that my hifi doesnt need to be as pricey but i still want a good system but it needs to suit my taste in music (fairly eclectic) I listen to anything from Iron Maiden, Metallica, System of a Down to Leftfield, Layo & Bushwacker, Air, Daft Punk, Underworld to Morcheeba, Moby, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Hed Kandi and so on! Most of mu music is fast with plenty of bass (especially my house music collection and other stuff like Massive Attack etc) so i need a combo that will be able to whack out decent bass! I will be keeping my M/A RS6 speakers but will be looking for a new amp and CDP with a view to adding a power amp later down the line. I may even look at the Rega Apollo CDP and poss partner it with the Roksan Kandy LIII amp. I need to have good, powerful sound as i do like to crank it up but i also want it to be detailed still with precise sound and clarity but also i like to listen to it a mellow'ish level if/when im reading a book etc... Has anyone any other suggestions? Arcam, Rotel, Rega, Marantz, Audiolab, Cyrus etc...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I'm seriously toying with the idea of selling my whole Arcam set-up as listed below and going for a whole new system (but keeping my speakers)
Would i be mad going for a NAD C355BEE amp and the NAD C542 CDP along with the NAD DAB/FM tuner?

[/quote]

Understand if you want to get rid of your arcams but that ain't going to do it. You need to look at the likes of cyrus'es 8 series. Punchy, a lot of bass and more detail. Better than the equivelant Naims for driving music. They are too refined now imo. They wont gel to well with your MA's though.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In regards to the Naim's - Dont like them. Dont like the soundstage at all.

With regards to Cyrus, my girlfriend already has the Cyrus 8v2, X-power and CD8x and i dont want to go down that route. Especially to pair with my RS6's, because as you said, they'd be too bright.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]With regards to Cyrus, my girlfriend already has the Cyrus 8v2, X-power and CD8x and i dont want to go down that route. [/quote]

Yeah, should know by now, still hungover from last nite
emotion-2.gif

Another brand I regard highly and which is never mentioned here mysteriously (other than by myself I think!) is myryad. You could do worse than try to audition the Z140 and matching player. Sounds wonderful, more detailed than probably anything at the price but not as cold as some. Lovely coherent and punchy too, just lets you listen to music.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've heard the Z140 and didnt like it.

I felt that although the midrange was smooth and detailed, it lacked punch and drive and felt that it was a little slow as well.

It was partnered with some Spendor speakers and the Z CDP and the same series Tuner (i think) which i though gave better sound than the CDP...

Maybe it was just me but i didnt gel with the set-up at all.

Going against that, my brothers got the DVD player which is quite good.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What about Creek Evo pairing. I had the Evo amp with my RS6s and it was great. The cdp is supposed to work well with it's sibling too. Creek's website sometimes sell ex demos with free delivery and three year warranty at circa £350 a pop. Very nice. Would be a lot better than the Nads you mention (in my opinion) and they look great too.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Not heard Creek and to be honest, wouldnt buy without being able to demo them 1st!

Dont diss the NADS lol

If you havent heard them then id advise it as i was totally suprised by how good they were! The C355BEE really kicks ass with plenty of oomph but superb control as well and really made my RS6's sing!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]
I felt that although the midrange was smooth and detailed, it lacked punch and drive and felt that it was a little slow as well.
It was partnered with some Spendor speakers and the Z CDP and the same series Tuner (i think) which i though gave better sound than the CDP...

[/quote]

Interesting. What is actually wrong with your current set-up, what would you like to improve? I'm not an arcam fan but know your items well. If you sell your Arcams I dont think you'll have much change left if any at all even if you'd buy the Nads which are hardly a big upgrade.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps you could consider an all in one system. It takes the upgrading out of the equation to an extend and saves space if you have an HT set-up too. I was supposed to audition Primare's version today but was ordered to paint by my gf instead so had to cancel. She just does'nt want boxes in her living room, understandable I guess ...
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]

[/quote]

Interesting. What is actually wrong with your current set-up, what would you like to improve? I'm not an arcam fan but know your items well. If you sell your Arcams I dont think you'll have much change left if any at all even if you'd buy the Nads which are hardly a big upgrade.
[/quote]
I'd have said it was a downgrade from Alpha 9 gear!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]I'd have said it was a downgrade from Alpha 9 gear![/quote]

I was kind of thinking the same as you though if I had to choose I'd know which one I would buy if I had'nt got the arcams already which of course would never happen so I dont have to if you get my drift ...
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I dont quite understand what it is he wants to achieve?

On one hand the current system does'nt need to be so pricey on the other he suggests products that cost the same or more (Kandy/Apollo) than what he's intended on selling is worth.

Perhaps we get to the bottom of this eventually with a little input from the man himself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts