Replacing a weak passive SW

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good morning to all,

I have searched this forum but could not find an answer to my problem, therefore I would like to ask for a bit of help.

I own a Samsung HT-C555 5.1 home cinema. I've been very satisfied with the overall clarity and clearness of the sound, however it lacks any respectable level of bass.

I have selected the maximum volume for the subwoofer (+6db) in the system menu but still, it's like there's bearly anything attached.

The specs of the SW are as follows:

* Impendance: 3 ohm

* Frenquency range: 40Hz~160Hz

* Output sound pressure level: 88dB/W/M

* Rated input: 170W

* Maximum input: 340W

The subwoofer is passive. I would like to know if it would be possible to either replace it with an active one and if so what would I need to do to make it work?

If I cannot replace with an active SW,could buying a new passive SW from another brand solve my problem, or do you think the problem is inherent to the amplifier and I would have to replace the entire system?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Paul

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's worth replacing just the sub - this is an all-in one unit without many (if any) upgrade options. The amp does have an HDMI output which means that almost certainly audio will be passed through this as well as the video signal.

You could send this to some sort of HDMI to audio 5.1 extractor / converter (look up CLUX 11SA as an example) which would then allow you (possibly) to use an active sub by tapping into the sub signal. But quite honsetly you'd be better off putting the money into a dedicated AV amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answer Bialykot. Actually, the sound signal goes through an optical cable, as I use my PS3 as a blu ray player. So I've disabled sound processing through HDMI. Don't know if that makes any difference?

I guess what I'm wondering is, is it the amp or the actuall subwoofer that's the culprit...

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
It would be difficult simply adding another passive sub as it would need to have the right impedance and sensitivity to match the amp. Perhaps try and move your sub around and see if it makes a difference - that can often help.

A

Anonymous

Paul

What you are looking to do can be done with a quick workaround. If you purchase a subwoofer with hi level inputs you can use that to feed the audio into the subwoofer and still retain volume control through the system. You are only slaving the signal and not affecting your net impedance from the system. To be on the safe side hook up as follows:

Positive Speaker wire from System to Hi Level in Right on your Active Subwoofer. Run a small jumper from the Negative Right to the Positive Left on the Subwoofer then connect the Negative Speaker wire from your system to the last remaining LEFT NEGATIVE and voila!:rockout: :rockout:

A

Anonymous

Its a simple series circuit is all. This way you get full output out of the subwoofer. (Some active units will not trigger unless it sees both speaker connections) That is what that jumper will do, it will see a left and right input. Have done this for a number of people and it works great and doesnt involve reinventing the wheel.

:dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts