Replacing 1989 Technics Amp

andrews65

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Newbie here with first post.

My HiFi system consists of Technics SU-V460 amp with Mission Cyrus 781 speakers (both from 1989) and NAD 5420 CD from 1991; also sometimes a Rotel RP855 turntable and a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. Never been in love with the amp and now its starting to die, so its time for at least a new amp.

I can see two possible ways to go:

1/ I'm happy-ish with the other components, so try to match the amp with the other pieces.

2/ Its all pretty old so maybe the way to go is new amp with not too much consideration to matching it with the other components, since they may have a finite lifespan and need to be replaced in the next few years.

I like option 1 better just now; so does anyone have any suggestions of the kind of things I should consider and some possible candidate amplifiers? Its been a while since I shopped for hifi components, so I'm likely a bit rusty! If its the right amp I can probably go up to several hundred pounds, maybe even above 500. I listen to a very broad range of music, from Debussy to Bill Evans to Killing Joke. Current room is on the small side, carpeted, furnished. Speakers are on stands.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

thanks, Andrew.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You could go for a second hand naim nait 5i like I did. It'll retain most of its value in case you want to system match when the rest of your current stuff dies. Second hand prices between 400 and 500 quid.

andrews65

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone? I've meantime done some research on my mission cyrus 781s.... seem to be highly regarded, so definitely want to keep them and source an amp that will do them justice.

TRENDING THREADS