Replacements for my LS3/5a speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have used a pair of these speakers since I bought them new in the 1970s for £199.95, (Which makes on realise how much the cost of living has increased since then!) Changed the amp a couple of times, presently use a NAD C340. I'm not one who whacks up the volume, (|Don't like disturbing the neighbours) but if I do use my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. However their lack of bass, is the reason I am upgrading but want to do this WITHOUT having to whack up the volume to get it! Musical tastes are varied, but do like Organ works. Present amp is a NAD c-340 ... which seems to be 'light' on the bass, so if something with more 'meat' at those frequencies, (or has a loudness button) I'd be willing to also change that too in a few months. For the speakers, I'm willing to spend just over £1000 ... as I suspect that's going to be what speakers of comparable quality are going to cost me nowadays. Room size is 21ft x 16ft, and speakers will be mounted onto brick walls.

I get the impression that the wall-mounting of speakers delivers 'serious' compromises, (and the lack of a wall-mounted speaker category seems to indicate that your magazine doesn't even want to acknowlege their existance!) but my room, and the amount of space that floorstanders take up (especially behind them) deliver to me, even bigger compromises, which are just unacceptable!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For under a £1000 there is only one obvious choice...

Spendor S3/5R² (£850)

They are a direct descendent of the LS3/5a, only they are now easier to drive (slightly more efficient and a standard 8 ohm load that doesn't drop below 6.2 ohms) and with many subsequent refinements.

They still have sealed cabinets and a thin wall design like the originals.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Chebby's suggestion is a good one, especially with the S3/5r2 being an LS3/5a descendent. Of the non LS3/5a designs (normal loudspeakers), I'd say the ATC SCM7 or SCM11's are worth looking at. Give the ProAc Tablette Anniversary a go too.

If your speakers have to go right up against a wall, the Spendor and ATC will work the best, being sealed designs.

A

Anonymous

All good suggestions, also try the Usher S520.

Usher make a mean speaker, and people like the 520.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/usher_audio_s520.htm

A

Anonymous

Try listening to...

Usher S 520

Harbeth HL-P3 or HL-P3-ES2 (secondhand) a direct descendent of the LS3/5A and a little fuller than the current P3ESR

PMC DB1

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
There is a grouptest at Stereomojo witch also features LS3/5A speakers. These speakers did fare very well in the test but they really liked the XLS Ninja speakers. http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/SmallSpeakerShootoutPart2.htm In this test there is also a pair of Hyperion HWS-585 speakers that did particulary well in stereo imaging, layering and depth. I do own the Hyperions but it is it's bigger brother though, the Hyperion HWS-586. It is a bit better and bigger sounding then the smaller HWS-585. I haven't heard the XLS Ninja but i can personally recommend the Hyperions speakers i own, they blew my Wharfedale Diamond's by no small margin away. Also, the sound color is just right for me when comparing them to other speakers. But that's just personal, i haven't heard the Ninja's that won the test. But taking all things into account regarding the grouptest, matching of components, placement of speakers can make or brake a test, so i think reading how a speaker is not good at a particular thing should be taking with a pinch of salt. I had this with with my Wharfedale speakers that were with one amp singing and with an other more expensive sounded just no good. I guess there was a very good senergy with amp X and not with amp Y.

matthewpiano

To me, your post immediately made me think of the PMC DB1i but you would have to move to mounting your speakers on good quality stands as they won't work well on the wall.

These are incredible little speakers. Beautifully made with an open, controlled treble that is well supported by an impressive level of bass performance thanks to the transmission line based design. They image better than pretty much any other speaker I've ever heard and the midrange makes voices and instruments almost tangible. The bass doesn't boom and they sound superb at lower volume levels.

If you can buy these and then upgrade to something like an Arcam A38 or a Creek Destiny 2, you'll have a stunning amp/speaker combination that you'd struggle to improve without spending bankrupting amounts of money.

If you don't want to entertain stands, then the Spendor S3/5R would be an excellent buy.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd agree with Matthewpiano about the PMC DB1i which is a lovely little speaker - very communcative and enjoyable.

But if it's a modern update on the classic BBC sound you're after, then I think your best bet would be the Harbeth P3ESR, which is a very neutral, easy-to-drive and musical speaker. I've used them with NAD amps and found the match to be very good.

A

Anonymous

RCduck7 said:
There is a grouptest at Stereomojo witch also features LS3/5A speakers. These speakers did fare very well in the test but they really liked the XLS Ninja speakers. http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/SmallSpeakerShootoutPart2.htm In this test there is also a pair of Hyperion HWS-585 speakers that did particulary well in stereo imaging, layering and depth. I do own the Hyperions but it is it's bigger brother though, the Hyperion HWS-586. It is a bit better and bigger sounding then the smaller HWS-585. I haven't heard the XLS Ninja but i can personally recommend the Hyperions speakers i own, they blew my Wharfedale Diamond's by no small margin away. Also, the sound color is just right for me when comparing them to other speakers. But that's just personal, i haven't heard the Ninja's that won the test. But taking all things into account regarding the grouptest, matching of components, placement of speakers can make or brake a test, so i think reading how a speaker is not good at a particular thing should be taking with a pinch of salt. I had this with with my Wharfedale speakers that were with one amp singing and with an other more expensive sounded just no good. I guess there was a very good senergy with amp X and not with amp Y.

With respect the LS3/5A in this group test is the Gini Systems which isn't made under BBC license and doesn't share any common parts with the original. It has the appearance/dimensions/name of the LS3/5A and thats about it , reviewers who've compared them to the original say they don't really capture the true LS3/5A sound. As a self assembly kit though they make make a fun project.

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Stirling Audio LS3 5a V2 - best speakers I have ever had.

I have finally stopped looking for speakers, I could not want for any more - all music (save for very deep bass stuff) sounds absolutely superb - voices are ridiculously good.

I have had them on the end of all sorts of amps including a 3 grand valve amp, but they are now sitting extremely happily on the end of a Pioneer A400, and sounding better than ever.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i know the op asked for speaker suggestions but i would consider, as he or she already has good speakers, sticking with the ls3/5a's and buy a good sub to get the low frequencies you are after

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I would recommmend Spendor SA 1 and supplement it with a subwoofer to extend its base department.

For me this is the best speaker I have ever heard and will stick to it for a long long time and i won't change it. If your favourire is vocals SA1 is your choice.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't read the OP fully - I just thought that you were replacing worn out older speakers.

I only mentioned the V2s as they have been reported to have more extended frequency response than the originals.

I have no wish for any more bass except for the odd moments when I would like The Happy Mondays at Hacienda volumes!

I did have a pair of Triangle Magellan Duetto SW2s (big standmounts) that were not ultimately clear as the V2s, but were a very full range speaker - the bass from said Happy Mondays could be heard from a long distance away!

The SW2s retail at around £3500, but can be had used at around £1000.

Hope this helps,

John.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . a bit of old thinking here:rofl: going back to the 'golden age of hifi' . . . I use LS35a's for years, with EAR509 valve amps, these were used as a bench mark for various other testing . . . however the trick was a pair of Foundation Designer Stands, they cleaned up and seemed to extend the base considerably. Not many Designer stands were made, but most were to the LS35a spec., if you see a pair in the used ads, grab them, provided the filling has not been tampered with!

One day, a pair or PMC LB1's came to my studio for evaluation . . . they did not leave! I still have them, resurrected in original condition. You may have seen the troubles I have gone through, with my hotch-potch system, despite this, the LB1's perform superbly on their Designer stands.

Obviously, PMC have moved on design wise, but one suspects the philosophy is the same? Proving the point, I use a Decca recording of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor, the room shakes, the image and musicality are solid, you can feel his feet going like a good'un. All this with a very 'weedy' 20 year old Rotel amp, (soon to be changed).

Many more Foundation 'PI' and 'Classic' stands were produced, also worked well with LS35a and do appear for sale occasionally. Ken Kessler was a devote of the LS35a/Foundation Designer concept.

The work can be heard on Spotify; Peter Hurford, Bach, J.S: The Organ Works, Disc No.1, Tracks 10/11 . . . For the Full Monty, the Decca disc is more dynamic IMHO; Bach; Famous Organ Works, Peter Hurford, DECCA 417 711-2

. . . just the ramblings of an old and confused Audiophile . . . as I'm writing this, Spotify continuous playing the rest of the selection, 17 discs!!!! . . . its not half bad now the amp is warming up . . . ;) Wow, try Disc 2, trac 3!!! :dance:

CJSF

All this talk of stands is not helping the OP much. If you read his post you might note he wants info on speakers he can wall-mount!

I'll have to second Chebby here as I cannot think of many that sound their best when mounted in such a way.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
All this talk of stands is not helping the OP much. If you read his post you might note he wants info on speakers he can wall-mount!

I'll have to second Chebby here as I cannot think of many that sound their best when mounted in such a way.

Agreed, but where to go . . . ??? the only thing I can come up with is those low profile flat speakers that I suppose are meant to look like pictures hung on a wall? . . . but where they fit in terms of hifi quality, I have no idea? the old Linn Kans, where they supposed to be OK backed up against a wall? The other criteria was more base . . . more base achieved with speaker backed up against a wall on stands, how good the base is in that situation?? How about LS35a plus a 'sub' tucked away in a corner . . . requires an amp change with appropriate outputs? As already mentioned Harberths go against walls . . . well they used to in my day . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts