Replacement Speakers (on budget) - Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got an old pair of Eltax symphony 6 and one of the mid/bass drivers has packed in. My amp is a Cambridge Audio A500 (60w) - from Richer Sounds a few years ago now. I mainly play 320kbps MP3's and will be running movies/games/tv/music through it (They're beside 42" TV).

I need replacement pair and I'm torn between the following:
Wharfdale 10.1
Monitor Audio BX2 (top of my price range)
EBAY BARGIN SUCH AS:
B&W 602 S3
B&W - anything for around 200/250
Bose Acoustimass (I know, but they look cool and save space)

I'm in an apartment with small-mid sized living space - floor standers not necessary I don't think. Although I don't want to skimp on the bass.

I'm really stuggling on what to go for - some stuff on eBay is so tempting (I love B&W gear), but will the speakers degrade with age?? And will the amp be up to scratch?!

Opinions thanks !! :)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd say go the ebay route, and find a pair of B&W DM601s3... Will be well within your budget!

The 602s are great, but need quite a bit of space and a good few watts to start singing- their little brothers are better at the more reasonable end of the volume knob, and will certainly kick out enough bass to fill a modest room.

Also, to save even more dosh, you could even try the DM302s, also B&W. Great small speakers- a bit less pretentious than the the 600 series (no kevlar drivers here), but packed with innovations and very well built. They are a steal on ebay...

A

Anonymous

Thanks that's great advice!

Going to checkout the 601 S3's !! Little worried they might lack power at the low end though... :cry:

Matt :)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably not. The 601s are surprisingly capable with the low notes- obviously they won't shake your foundations, but in small-to-average size room I don't think you'll need anything bigger. By all means try the 602s if you want, I just feel that they might be a bit too much- and too much bass is far worse than not enough!

If you listen to rock or electronic music, also look out for Mission 732 or 732i, or M72/M72i. These are not the most 'neutral' speakers on the planet, but have a really good bottom end, with a lot of punch and drive. They are detailed, but not so much that they will make your mp3s sound too thin. Also, you will have plenty of budget left for other things! The M72s are the more aesthetically pleasing of the two, but the 732 is a lot of speaker for your money, and I reckon you'd love them...

Perhaps even the 733 floorstanders would fit the bill- extra clout for not much more money- you'd get a pair for about £100 I think.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dougal, I checked out those missions and I think they look a bit dated. Asthetics are quite important here.

I've decided to go with your first recommendation and go for the 601 S3's. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense - the 602's will be too big for the spot they are going in. I reckon I can pick up a pair on eBay for about £120-160, leaving enough money for stands. (Any recommendations on these?!).

I've also considered a Boston Acoustics 5.1 package (the 5 star one that's about £280), but think that would be pushing the boat out too far caus would need a 5.1 amp..

Cheers

Matt

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I used 50cm Apollo A4 stands with mine, which worked well and looked good...

I agree the Missions are showing their age now, but still a lot of sound-per-pound. (I've owned most of their product range over the years!).

Still, good luck with the 601s- I'm sure you'll love them!

A

Anonymous

I'd go Wharfedale 10.1 for speakers, incredible midrange clarity and refinement for the price, if you want sound well above its price point. The Wharefdales were voiced by Peter Comeau who's very well known in audiophile circles and these are true audiophile bargains, I promise you I don't have shares in Wharfedale.

A

Anonymous

I'd go Wharfedale 10.1 for speakers, incredible midrange clarity and refinement for the price, if you want sound well above its price point and a speaker that will survive many future upgrades ! The Wharfedales were voiced by Peter Comeau who's very well known in audiophile circles and these are true audiophile bargains, I promise you I don't have shares in Wharfedale.

A

Anonymous

What would be best?:

Wharfdale 10.1 (new) - or - B&W 601 S3 (2nd hand) ???

PS - I just saw some B&W CM2's go for 166 quid on eBay! Surely those would have been the dogs!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts