Replacement needles

stereoman said:
Helo to you. Some carts like Goldring E3 do not seem to have replacements needles. Is this right ? Does one need to exchange the whole cart ?

As far as I was aware all the cartridges in the Goldring E3 range have replaceable stylii, they would be mad to issue ones that didn't even at that cheap price.

Perhaps you are thinking of most Moving coil type cartridges?

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Helo to you. Some carts like Goldring E3 do not seem to have replacements needles. Is this right ? Does one need to exchange the whole cart ?

As far as I was aware all the cartridges in the Goldring E3 range have replaceable stylii, they would be mad to issue ones that didn't even at that cheap price.

Perhaps you are thinking of most Moving coil type cartridges?

Hi Al ears. Nope. I mean MM. I cannot find any replacment for E3 for example on the net (?)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
priam said:
Always wondered about this, why is the needle so expensive? I've always assumed the cart is where the money goes, not the stylus.
Manufacturers have long since learned that the money's in the consumables. I threw a perfectly good working (budget) printer away last year because {a} there were no cheap shnide third-party compatible cartridges available, and {b} the official Epson cartridges cost more money (£29.99) than the whole thing cost to buy brand new (£24.99).

Gray

Look at it from the manufacturers point of view, then it's more a case of why not?

I've always been very careful never to damage a stylus.

Imagine damaging one on a MC cart worth thousands.

Even if I survived the heart attack, I'd be crying for the rest of my life.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
priam said:
Always wondered about this, why is the needle so expensive? I've always assumed the cart is where the money goes, not the stylus.

Have you ever tried profiling a diamond tip, then glueing it to a ruby cantilver and mounting it in a suspension unit ?

It's fiddly at the best of times..... ;-) ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
brownz said:
priam said:

Have you ever tried profiling a diamond tip, then glueing it to a ruby cantilver and mounting it in a suspension unit ?It's fiddly at the best of times..... ;-) ;-)

Yeah it's probably about as fiddly as winding the cartridge coils using wires the thickness of gnat pubes. So in terms of difficulty and labour costs it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other. But the difference is, MM cartridges don't really wear out, so unless Sir fancies an upgrade, there's never really a need to buy another cartridge unless compatible replacement styli become NLA. Making something which lasts near enough forever is not great for business. So the price of the stylus covers both its own costs and to an extent the financial burden of not needing to replace the cartridge probably ever. If the manufacturers didn't adopt that strategy, they would fold.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Chris Munden said:
One Computer review site some years ago bashed the prices of printer ink by saying millie litre for millie litre, Champagne was cheaper

Yep and for exactly the same reason, other than printers at least eventually wear out and break, whereas cartridges can and do last decades unless mistreated. The exception is MCs with fixed styli. But then again, owners of very expensive MCs are known to have them retipped, increasing their originally-expected lifespan.

MajorFubar said:
Chris Munden said:
One Computer review site some years ago bashed the prices of printer ink by saying millie litre for millie litre, Champagne was cheaper

Yep and for exactly the same reason, other than printers at least eventually wear out and break, whereas cartridges can and do last decades unless mistreated. The exception is MCs with fixed styli. But then again, owners of very expensive MCs are known to have them retipped, increasing their originally-expected lifespan.

As you said retipping of expensive MC s is commonplace but normally only for the well loaded. The idea of simply replacing the stylus on MM cartridges is there for the less well off (or more sensible) and, for reasons previously stated, I wouldn't quibble at the price of a new stylus. The manufacturers are well aware of the longevity of their cartridges and replacement stylii are priced accordingly. Let's face it the only way you are likely to ditch a MM cartridge is if you want to try a different manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts