Replacement for Rotel RA931 to go with B&W 607s

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I'm running B&W 607s off a Rotel RA931 connected to a desktop computer in my study. I use this set-up for listening to (mainly) rock music and all is fine.

Quite happy until about a year ago when the right channel stopped working intermittently. It's clearly an issue with the RA931 and it's getting more frequent. I've removed the cover, wiggled everything I can see, can't see anything obvious and decided to replace the amp.

I've narrowed the replacement down to the Marantz PX 6007 or possibly the NAD D3020 v2. Before I take the plunge, I just wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on my (very) shortlist.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers - Mark

PS I've given up trying to figure out whether the sound chip on my motherboard or a dedicated soundcard would make a material difference. I've decided that if my phone can send decent quality sound then why should I worry abolut a sound card. Who knows though...

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 116933

I have the same problem with my Rotel 931, I found it keeps blowing the fuse of one of the channels. Its in my loft and will give it service at some point. bad capacitor i guess shorting it out.

The Marantz and the NAD are fine, though with BW id still go for another Rotel. Plenty of newer second hand versions on ebay

or you can buy one there new versions.

But as I said NAD Marantz will be fine also

Reactions: Al ears

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Dear Millennia_one

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I'm going to shortlist then follow several of the Rotel amp candidates on ebay to get an idea what they sell for. In the emantime I'm going to play with the fuses in my existing Rotel to see if that yields any further information as to what the fault might be.

Thanks again.
Cheers - Mark

Last edited:

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
sub £600 ish.

I should add that it's been working most of the past year and often a gentle 'tap' has got it going again. It is getting worse and worse though.

Bit torn after the earlier comment between diving into eBay or pursuing a new model.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers - Mark

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
The RA931 has an inherent design flaw. The heatsink on the underside is too small and doesnt disipate heat very well if the amplifier is used hard.
Its a very simple amplifier and you probably have one of the large capacitors near the PSU giving up which often caused this kind of fault. its probably time to replace them anyway so upgrade them a little with some 10,000uF/50V versions if you deided to keep it.

Your short list is good, the NAD works well with the B&W 607's. I would add the Rega IO if you take the time to audition them. If you could stretch the budget a little the Rotel A11 Tribute is worth listening too also.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: a1mark

rainsoothe

The RA931 has an inherent design flaw. The heatsink on the underside is too small and doesnt disipate heat very well if the amplifier is used hard.
Its a very simple amplifier and you probably have one of the large capacitors near the PSU giving up which often caused this kind of fault. its probably time to replace them anyway so upgrade them a little with some 10,000uF/50V versions if you deided to keep it.

Your short list is good, the NAD works well with the B&W 607's. I would add the Rega IO if you take the time to audition them. If you could stretch the budget a little the Rotel A11 Tribute is worth listening too also.

+1 to this . I'd go for the Rega Io myself.

manicm

I’d rather stump more for the Rega Brio than the IO. I don’t think the cheaper amp will cope as well with the 607s.

In fact I find the IO a dumb product in more ways than one. It’s trying to appeal to juvenile delinquents but with lower power and no basic connectivity like Bluetooth. Who is it for? I have no idea. Why would anyone choose it over the Brio? Again no idea.

Last edited:

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank goodness i wasn't veering towards the riga io :) Currently inclined towards rotel a11 tribute but i need to sleep on it i think. Slightly annoyingly, the old ra931 has been behaving immaculately today. Hey ho...

rainsoothe

I’d rather stump more for the Rega Brio than the IO. I don’t think the cheaper amp will cope as well with the 607s.

In fact I find the IO a dumb product in more ways than one. It’s trying to appeal to juvenile delinquents but with lower power and no basic connectivity like Bluetooth. Who is it for? I have no idea. Why would anyone choose it over the Brio? Again no idea.
:)) Isn't it like 50% cheaper? The Brio doesn't have bluetooth either. But yes, by all means go for the Brio if you can.

Thank goodness i wasn't veering towards the riga io :) Currently inclined towards rotel a11 tribute but i need to sleep on it i think. Slightly annoyingly, the old ra931 has been behaving immaculately today. Hey ho...
Here's another one to chew over. It's the older RA-06. Did hear this years ago and from memory it's a cracker.

It comes with the box and remote control.

Clickety

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Having slept on it...

My current thinking is that I might splash out for a shiny new (well, black) Rotel A11 Tribute although it would be nice to be able to hear it in the flesh first - not easy right now with Covid restrictions.

I did get chance to listen to a NAD D3020 v2 as a comparison to the existing RA931 but didn't think it was any improvement on the RA931, if anything a little inferior.

Whilst I think on that I'm going to track a couple of 'five star' older Rotel amps on eBay to get a feel of what they seem to sell for and try to weigh the risk of going that route. I'm currently targetting the 04SE, 04 and 1520 but other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers - Mark
Meanwhile, the current RA931 is now stubbornly refusing to malbehave :)

Having slept on it...

My current thinking is that I might splash out for a shiny new (well, black) Rotel A11 Tribute although it would be nice to be able to hear it in the flesh first - not easy right now with Covid restrictions.

I did get chance to listen to a NAD D3020 v2 as a comparison to the existing RA931 but didn't think it was any improvement on the RA931, if anything a little inferior.

Whilst I think on that I'm going to track a couple of 'five star' older Rotel amps on eBay to get a feel of what they seem to sell for and try to weigh the risk of going that route. I'm currently targetting the 04SE, 04 and 1520 but other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers - Mark
Meanwhile, the current RA931 is now stubbornly refusing to malbehave :)

If your current amp is working fine and you like the presentation stick with it until it coughs and splutters again.

Why are you targeting the 04SE and 1520? You are targeting different price brackets. The 04, although excellent for the money, was the entry-level, while the 15 series was the flagship. Is it because both of these get 5 stars from What Hi-fi? Nothing wrong with professional reviews but they can backfire.

I've heard speakers (Usher S520) that What Hi-fi only awarded 3 stars, and they still remain one of my favourite sub-£500 speakers. My old Arcam A65+ was awarded 4 stars but is still one of the best sub-£1000 integrateds. Last year I purchased a replacement CD player, in the shape of the Exposure CD2010, and it blows away far more expensive and more modern models... What HI-fi only lauded it 4 stars back in the day.

I would suggest if you're going the used route that RA-06 is as good as it gets for £200 and something pounds.

I would look at 1520 and the RA-11 tribute as recommended by a previous poster.

Wherever possible try and get one with a returns, just as a safety net.

but other suggestions gratefully received.

I know the the RA-931 well. Good amp and I sold many of them. Moving on and for a significant and worthwhile upgrade in power and performance for not too much money around £200 - £300 or so look out for Rotel's RA-1062 amplifier on the used market. The high current 60w RA-1062 which is working to its full intended specification is likely to grip, drive and energise your B&W 607 speakers far more effectively and remain more stable at almost any comparable level compared to your existing and also most if not all of the other amplifiers mentioned so far.

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for this, its all very helpful.

I'd be delighted if the current amp keeps going but just as i think it is going to, it lets me down again. I have some momentum now so will try to keep going until ive made a decision. Then, when it next fails me I'll be ready to sieze the moment.

Getting pointers on this forum is invaluable and of course I cross reference against reviews. Tbh, if i also accepted 3 and 4 star reviews i'd be here until I'm old and even greyer :) i accept its not perfect and i may miss some pearls but im trying do what i can with my available time.

Smart thinking re returns...

Cheers

Last edited:

a1mark

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
I love the look of the 1062 and all but bought one on ebay at the weekend but got the distinct impression that my wife feels I should wait for the 931 to fail again. <sigh>

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts