Replacement for my Meridian 207 CD/pre-amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My ancient Meridian 207 CD/pre-amp player has final died after almost 18 years service and I need to replace it. I actually bought it 2nd hand about 12 years ago for £600 but I believe it was far more expensive when new.

I have a Meridian 555 power amp (£600) and Monitor Audio PMC floorstanders (£900) and a REL sub (£500) which it needs to match with. I am looking for a descent replacement that doesn't cost the earth. Unfortunatly I don't have the budget to buy "new" high end this time so I really need to look at the 2nd hand market. I also don't have a huge amount of cash at all due to starting up a business - so the budget would probably be around £400 - £500.

I also have the Denon 2808 surround amp which I could use if I sold the Meridian power amp to raise funds for a better quality CD player. However, I am not sure if this would be worth it.

So the questions I have are:

Are there any other CD/pre-amp products out there? If so, what are they? Would they match my setup? How much would they cost?

If I were to use the 2808 for stereo amplification (I am doing it now for iPod and it sounds pretty good configured with bi-amped front speakers) which CD player should I go for?

I am bit confused about the best way to go so any help and suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers guys!

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about my problem last night and came up with a good solution. Namely using the Denon 2808 as a pre-amp and connecting it up to my 555 power amp for the front speakers. That means I would be free to consider any good CD player that would match my setup. New or used would be fine at around £400 - £500 to partner the rest of my stuff. Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts