Replacement for Monitor Audio MA202s?

peterfreeth

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
Back in the 90s I had a Marantz CD67SE, an Aura VA100II and a pair of Monitor Audio MA202s. I loved the relaxed power, the smooth detail, and sadly it all had to go. Thanks to a mid life crisis, I am rebuilding this system. However, reading reviews, it seems that another CD67SE would be pointless and I should get a CD6007.

I have the Aura amp again thanks to eBay. Now for the speakers. What should I use as a substitute for the MA202s? I'm looking for floor standing but not huge, smooth, detailed, balanced sound so not bright or forward, and not boomy or overly bassy. Q3050is? Fyne? I've read the WHF2020 awards. I can't say that any of their picks really grab me. Maybe it's just unfamiliarity with the 'new' brands. Should I stick with Monitor Audio? Tannoy? (I have E11s and Mercury Golds which I like very much). I'm looking for first hand experience rather than what the reviews say.

p.s. anyone of thinking of selling a pair of MA202s, let me know!

I am not familiar with these speakers, not M 200 I assume.
However, I think you may have to get out and audition vas much as you can to find a suitable replacement as your ears are your ears.
Try some new brands like Focal and others, you might be pleasantly surprised however other Monitor Audio might be a good starting point although there is no guarantee the more recent models will recreate what you had.
Perhaps an idea of your budget might assist some recommendations

peterfreeth

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, looking at reviews I guess about £1000 max. The 202s were about £400 in 1992/3. Fairly compact 2 way reflex floor standers.

I know Richer are doing auditions by appointment but obviously more distributors have been driven to internet only sales so maybe there will be an interesting option that's not available on the high street. Or maybe I'll have a go at making some!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts