Replacement for a systemdek IIX900

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think I need to replace an old systemdek turntable as it's starting to make some strange noises when turned on, the suspension is also bouncing rather a lot.

I have a budget of around £2000 and would like to get something that sounds more modern and would last. It would be used with a Linn DS-i and possibly a new amp and speakers. I would like something easy to set up complete with arm and cartridge but I think a good dealer would do that for me.

I know I would have to audition but I would like some help please on suggestions.

Thank you.

How about this:-

Michell Gyrodec SE, with Techno Arm, plus Ortofon 2M Bronze? Being advertised for £2080 by Vickers Hi-Fi, and doubtless a dealer near you too?

Or a Linn Majik, which I think is normally about £2300, but is shown in the September 'Ultimate Guide' supplement as £1995. Was that a mistake?

Both these need lids as well, by the way, unless you like dusting and can manage it without ruining your stylus!

These are long-running UK companies, though I guess Roksan should be on that list too (Radius 5?).

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought an Origin Live Calypso , second hand Tecnoarm and Grado Reference Platinium 1 cartridge , set up by dealer , for £2080 . Also needs dust cover , but in my opinion looks better then either the Roksan or Michell decks. Don't know if it sounds better as I haven't heard them .

Nick

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
EMT 948 with EMT TSD 15 cartridge for about £2000 or less.

Sounds about as good as any turntable ever made at any price and would last and last and last.

Really easy to set up. All you'd need to do is unscrew the transit screws, plug the cartridge into the end of the arm, set the tracking weight and off you go.

Also has good sounding built-in phono amplification.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hardly an easy turntable to audition, not many around and doesn't look very good.

I think I have narrowed things down to a clearaudio concept, Thorens TD160 and possibly a Rega P7.

Just need to audition them now.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There are a few EMT owners who are active on UK hi-fi forums who would be happy to let you have a listen - and to show you how easy they are to set-up and use.

The EMT 948 sounds considerable better than the Thorens TD160 and the Rega Planar 7 - based on the listening tests that I've done.

I've not heard the Clearaudio, but a friend who has - whose opinion I trust - says that it sounds dead and undynamic compared to the EMT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts