replace sub or whole system?

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Currently have a Denon AVR 2803, KEF 2005.2 eggs speakers with faulty sub and budget samsung (5 star ) dvd player. Now i'm thinking of either replacing the sub with say Wharfedale diamond or replacing the whole system with an all in one blu-ray system like the Sony bdv-e300. Now will this be an upgrade as im going from dvd to blu-ray or more of a side step cos i'm going from a seperates to an all in one system? Oh I also have Pani px80 42"

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
northantsbloke34:Currently have a Denon AVR 2803, KEF 2005.2 eggs speakers with
faulty sub and budget samsung (5 star ) dvd player. Now i'm thinking of
either replacing the sub with say Wharfedale diamond or replacing the
whole system with an all in one blu-ray system like the Sony bdv-e300.
Now will this be an upgrade as im going from dvd to blu-ray or more of
a side step cos i'm going from a seperates to an all in one system? Oh
I also have Pani px80 42"

Go on ebay (if it's still for sale) and get the silver RSW12 sub on there for £299! This with the eggs and your Denon would blow away a bluray system. Add to it a multi channel capable bluray player and you will get HD audio via analogue cables to your Denon.

A

Anonymous

Seen in today, thats such a stupid price.

I was so tempted to have another one, but the neighbours complain about the one I have.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree. An all in one system will not match your current separates for sound quality. Replace the sub (the Wharfedale sounds like a good affordable option).

The other thing to consider is that your 2803 will not decode HD audio internally. Use multichannel analogue interconnects with a Blu Ray player like the Pana 85 or LG 390 and you're up and running. You should get noticeably better audio to compliment the noticably better picture! Easy job...

A

Anonymous

why not sell your eggs , and buy these and a second hand sub ?

miles better than any all in one system , and i believe the dalis (which were £1000 just for the fronts when they first came out) are very good for music as well as movies ..

A

Anonymous

works fine for me , u have to scroll down once youve opened it...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow. If only I had a bigger living room (and a bigger wallet).

According to tech reviews, the main speakers dig down to 37Hz, so a sub may not even be essential. This might, in a strange way, offer the compromise you're looking for -- you said the sub has been upsetting your neighbours. Assuming, that is, you can accomodate the full speaker package and all members of the household are happy to live with it?

You need to stop highlighting enticing deals Max! Having forked out more than planned for a receiver following your recommendation (not that it wasn't a good call), I'm now wondering if a bargain Dali Suite package would trounce my current speakers.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

actually it was tarquinh who highlighted them on another thread earlier strapped...

they do look great value , i recall a few forumites that recently bought the fronts , dali suite 2.8 saying how impressed they were by them ..

looks like you may have to open your wallet again
emotion-5.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll blame him then.

If only I could! I fear the outlay would extend to a place with a larger living room, on top of the cost of the speakers (which are pretty deep).

As I've got another 3 & 1/2 years studying on a limited bursary, I think it's all currently beyond my means, unfortunately...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Also, check out this review of the Dali Suite package from the US...
Or rather don't, as this contravenes house rules - MODS

You'll have to copy and paste the link, but sounds pretty tempting when you consider they're reviewing the package at $3,500 (though this was including the Dali sub).

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash:
Wow. If only I had a bigger living room (and a bigger wallet).

According to tech reviews, the main speakers dig down to 37Hz, so a sub may not even be essential. This might, in a strange way, offer the compromise you're looking for -- you said the sub has been upsetting your neighbours. Assuming, that is, you can accomodate the full speaker package and all members of the household are happy to live with it?

You need to stop highlighting enticing deals Max! Having forked out more than planned for a receiver following your recommendation (not that it wasn't a good call), I'm now wondering if a bargain Dali Suite package would trounce my current speakers.
emotion-5.gif

I said my sub is faulty.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Upgrade rather than replacing with an all in one - buy a good sub
now and you can upgrade the Eggs later. The standard Kef sub isn't
that great in my experience so a better sub will make the whole system
sound better.

For value you'll be hard pressed to beat BK Electronics. A Gemini is c£200 and the XLS200 c£300. The Gemini will probably outperform your Kef sub. The XLS200 will blow it away and either will sound much better than the Sony.

End of line BluRay players from Sony or Samsung can be picked up for under £100 so you should be able to get a great sub and a top brand Blu Ray player for less than the Sony All in One.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts