replace Rega p2/elys with MC cart or other turntable?

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Would appreciate advice.

Rega p2/elys/rotel RA12/QED xd40/B&W 601

Find rega/elys set up too laid back and thin no matter what amp or speakers I've had and I want my vinyl to wow me! Local hifi dealer suggesting I go moving coil and for creek rh preamp/ortofon quintet red or blue if I can afford.

Is this best spend of £600 to achieve the aim or am I looking at wrong turntable?

Also planning chord epic twin+ speaker upgrade, always been happy with various b&w speakers so probably 685 s2.

Thanks very much

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Could be a way to go. Nothing particularly wrong with the P2 (I used to have a P3).

Alternatively just go for a much better moving magnet cartridge thus negating the expense on a phono preamp.

Thank you. I see from other very helpful related posts that you know your stuff so a snow think I may go for a nagaoka mp200 as it's MM and upgrade to max! But I wanted to ask if you think rotel ra12 photo stage is fine or would I see a decent improvement from a creek, Graham slee or project tube box upgrade?

Ps. I do have a P3 and not p2, I just didn't edit in time!

Thank you

hybridauth_Facebook_655337153 said:
Al ears said:
Could be a way to go. Nothing particularly wrong with the P2 (I used to have a P3).

Alternatively just go for a much better moving magnet cartridge thus negating the expense on a phono preamp.

Thank you. I see from other very helpful related posts that you know your stuff so a snow think I may go for a nagaoka mp200 as it's MM and upgrade to max! But I wanted to ask if you think rotel ra12 photo stage is fine or would I see a decent improvement from a creek, Graham slee or project tube box upgrade?

Ps. I do have a P3 and not p2, I just didn't edit in time!

Thank you

Excellent turntable, just remember to change the drive belt every so often :)

Your choice of Nagaoka is to be applauded, as I do have quite a few years experience in the vinyl arena, and you will not find much to beat it for the money. Similar priced Ortofons are pretty much love 'em or hate 'em I have found.

The Rotel phono stage should be fine (they are usually of pretty good quality although to be honest I am not familiar with the RA12's and at least they are one manufacturer that still fits them). I would hold off on spending out on phono preamps until you have had time to fully appreciate the Nag / Rotel combo and then see what you think.

Me, I'd spend the money on more vinyl...... but that's just me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts