Rejuvenating a NAD 3020A

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

I have a NAD 3020A from 1986 which my late dad bought for me. Last time I used it, a few years ago now, I noticed a slight crackle turning the volume knob up or down - which Ithink is easily fixed from what little I know about electronics - and maybe one of the cassette tape connections was loose at the back (no big deal as I wouldn't want to use it for that now).

I'd like to keep it for sentimental reasons - the amp has a nice fat old sound to it and the phono stage is pretty respectable still.

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to titivate (wot?!) an older amp for something this basic? I'm guessing around £30? I don't want to have to remove the case and mess around with the interior.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
There may not be that much wrong with it and removing the outer casing is a very simple and straight forward job. Theres nothing attached to it.

It may be a case of dust on the inside so best to get yourself a can of compressed air from Maplins, removed the amp's casing and give everything a good blow clean (obviously make sure that the powers off; best to do it when the amps been switched off for a while).

T

the record spot

Thanks Dan, I might give this a go; I haven't used it properly for a good ten years, so yes, it's not been powered up for a little while!

A

Anonymous

Yus, but be careful not to make contact with anything inside. I think we established in a previous thread on cleaning equipment internals that capacitors can stay charged for quite a long time. Probably not ten years though...

nads

i inquired about the same issue with my 3130 and was told new a new pot will be needed. but after changing the speakers i also found a crackle that was present even without changing the volume. so get it checked out before spending too much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts