drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just re-read last years copy of a HifiNews&RR edition.

Testing an RP1 (Performance Pack, £298 RRP Dec 15) the measurements concluded the table measured as well for W&F etc as the RP3 despite using a light phenolic resin platter (Plastic to you and me) rather than the more elaborate glass platter of the model up.

Furthermore, the included RB101 measured slightly better than the 303 of the RP3 despite (because?) a simpler construction and plastic headshell.

Go figure.

drummerman said:

Testing an RP1 (Performance Pack, £298 RRP Dec 15) the measurements concluded the table measured as well for W&F etc as the RP3 despite using a light phenolic resin platter (Plastic to you and me) rather than the more elaborate glass platter of the model up.

Furthermore, the included RB101 measured slightly better than the 303 of the RP3 despite (because?) a simpler construction and plastic headshell.

Go figure.

Figures eh?, who would believe them? To be frank sometimes their test equipment measures figures that are way beyond my hearing range and are likely to become increasingly meaningless when a cr+p pre-fitted cartridge becomes involved. ;-)

matthewpiano

Where the RP3 really comes into its own is when you add the TT-PSU. Without it, I could easily discern some wow and flutter, but adding the TT-PSU made a massive difference, to the point where even solo piano music sounds stable. You can't add the TT-PSU to the RP1.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Where the RP3 really comes into its own is when you add the TT-PSU. Without it, I could easily discern some wow and flutter, but adding the TT-PSU made a massive difference, to the point where even solo piano music sounds stable. You can't add the TT-PSU to the RP1.

Good point. Can't underestimate upgradability.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

Go figure.

Figures eh?, who would believe them? To be frank sometimes their test equipment measures figures that are way beyond my hearing range and are likely to become increasingly meaningless when a cr+p pre-fitted cartridge becomes involved. ;-)

Probably measures better than some direct drive TTs, looking at one yesterday, wow and flutter was 0.2%, which is higher than many belt drives, so much for them being more accurate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts