Rega Warranty?

Pearls Girl

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
I was having a Google search to see how reliable Rega equipment was. I stumbled on a few forum threads talking about how great Rega lifetime warranties are and how good their customer service is. I then go to their website to check this out. All I see mentioned is a 12 month warranty for their products. Two extremes of the spectrum. These forum threads were 5+ years old, have Rega changed their ways?

On an American dealer site for a CD player I found this:-

Warranty Conditions: Rega warrants this product with a three-year limited warranty with the exception of laser mechanisms and phono cartridges, which are warranted for one year. Warranty is non-transferable.

I assume UK is identical.
However , on the Rega Ios Amplifier page it states :-

*The IOS amplifier is covered by the Rega lifetime warranty. Our warranty covers any failure caused by manufacture defects or faulty parts.

It's beginning to sound like different products have different warranties.
Best, therefore, to phone them up or email them.

Reactions: matthewpiano

DCarmi

Under the Consumer Sales Act you have certain entitlements. If a company goes beyond that that is their option. As far as I am aware Rega Lifetime Warranty covers manufacturing defects, which you would have to prove.

In the event of a defect under UK law:
  • First 30 days you are entitled to a refund
  • First 6 months the company can repair or replace unless the company can prove the problem is of your making. If that fails to solve the problem the you are entitled to a refund.
  • After 6 months you would have to prove a defect and you may have to go to small claims court. You may not get full value compensation/refund. You have 6 years to make the claim (5 in Scotland).
I would not expect my decades old Planar 3 to be repaired under warranty. Any manufacturing defect would have shown up by now. Any failure now would most likely be wear and tear which would not be covered. While it is not impossible for a manufacturing defect to show up years later (washing machines and tumble driers, spring to mind) but I would think it fairly unlikely.

If you are concerned, I'd speak to a dealer. Rega Service Centre require you to go through an authorised dealer, so they would know how easy it is to work with the company and what their warranties actually cover. They'd should also have a good idea how reliable the equipment is, in general.

matthewpiano

As @Al ears says, it's best to check the warranty relative to the product(s) you are interested in.

One thing I do know is that Rega do not deal directly with buyers. All warranty claims are dealt with by the dealer you purchased from.

Rega gear is generally very well made and reliable, and they offer good service through their dealer network.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts