Rega Turntable Setup

dannymarston

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Im currently looking at buying my first turntable, im a huge novice so was wondering if I was to buy a rega rp3 and rega brio r would I need a pre phono amp? Like the Rega Foni Mini?

Also does it really matter what stand its on? Would buying something cheap from IKEA make a huge diffrence then buying something from a more high class brand?

What speakers would anyone recommend for this setup I have some Tannoy Mercury V1s will they be competent enough for the job?

Thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would say your Tannoy speakers will be fine!

With regards to the TT, best to have it on something solid - I know some people use an Ikea Expedit to store their records and sit the TT on top.

BTW The RP3 & Brio R is a cracking combo - you will be hooked!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dannymarston said:
Im currently looking at buying my first turntable, im a huge novice so was wondering if I was to buy a rega rp3 and rega brio r would I need a pre phono amp? Like the Rega Foni Mini?

No. The Brio-R has a good phono stage built-in.

dannymarston said:
Also does it really matter what stand its on? Would buying something cheap from IKEA make a huge diffrence then buying something from a more high class brand?

Rigidity matters. It matters that the support is not a big hollow piece of furniture like a sideboard. The support should be level. Cost does not matter. Brand does not matter. (In fact I would deliberately avoid "high class brand" supports from hi-fi 'boutique' support suppliers. They'll cost a lot more than a good turntable.)

This wall mounted platform by Pro-ject is probably ideal. (The platform sits on adjustable spikes so a perfectly level surface can be achieved.)

If you have a solid, non-resonant (and level) floor then this solid wood table from IKEA looks pretty good (three different finishes) and is just the right size for the RP3.

dannymarston said:
What speakers would anyone recommend for this setup I have some Tannoy Mercury V1s will they be competent enough for the job?

You already like them so you'll probably like them even more with the new amp and TT.

dannymarston

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks a lot. Would it matter if the stand is made of glass just saw this:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/futureglass-gem-lite

Ive currently just got a big panasonic 5 disc Cd player from Argos so im going for a big upgrade.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
my turntable is sitting on one of these.. http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20011408/ I read about it online on a very well respected audiophile website... for the price.. you cant go wrong.. I cant fault it really..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts