Rega Saturn-R question

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I currently have a Marantz CD6004 CD player, however I am looking to upgrade it to a Rega Saturn-R in next few weeks. Can I expect a significant difference in sound quality for the money? The rest of my system consists of a Rega Brio-R and AE 301 speakers, I know they're not very ideal for a high-end CD player but I will also be changing them sometime over the next couple of months.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You may well end up with that, but I would advise not getting tunnel vision...

I have listed stuff above that you should try.....eg. The LS50s might save you nearly £700, if you like them and the R300s have big scale for a standmount at a saving of nearly £500.

Amps to look at around that money would be Sugden Mystro, Croft Integrated, Arcam A39, Creek Evo 100A and Electrocompaniet PI-1

Remember any saving on the speakers can be pocketed....or ploughed back into a better amp (eg. Electro ECI-3, Pathos Classic One Mk11)...and that in turn will make the speakers sound better! *diablo*

Hi Audioholic2013

I'll recommend that you should also consider ATC's curved SCM11 monitors and Raidho Acoustics Scansonic MB-1's as we've also found the Elex-R and Elicit-R to work well with curved SCM11's and MB-1's
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin said:
Personally I would only consider the saturn if you look at Elicit-R. For the Elex-R and your current amp and speakers I'd be looking more towards Apollo-R + Dac.

Hi plastic pengiun

The Elex-R is still transparent enough to reveal the finer qualities of the Saturn-R CD DAC
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I will respond to you in a disturbing way.

But what are you expecting to be bettered if you take two products that are mostly the same. The chip differ, but the two constructions are around a single chip DAC and both uses opamp to amplify their signal. Transport is standard on both and wizard corrections are generally the same everywhere.

But the filter could, yes, be setted up differently, in a way you like. But no forum will be able to know if you will like this different setting more than the older one.

In France, they tend to like the 6004 more than the rega. Probaly that in England and the us, it will be exactly the opposite way. But if you search an "improvement" you will need to search more capable players with superior DAC work.

I would spare the money. Or invest it in correct room threatment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes I would expect an improvement....whether it would be called "significant" is subjective....and yes, I agree that the rest of your system will be holding things back. You won't fully know what you've got until you have something like the Elicet-R/Arcam A39 and some LS50s / R300 / R500 (Nb. That's just an example of what I would be looking at).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why have you decided on the Saturn-R, that is £1,600? Well I would audition some different ones, really I would want to hear the whole system together rather than picking one item first. IMHO differences between cdp are subtle. This post from last year maybe of interest: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rega-saturn-r

BigH said:
Why have you decided on the Saturn-R, that is £1,600? Well I would audition some different ones, really I would want to hear the whole system together rather than picking one item first. IMHO differences between cdp are subtle. This post from last year maybe of interest: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rega-saturn-r

This is why I mentioned the Apollo-R + Dac. It should improve on what he has now and save him a few quid.

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
I will respond to you in a disturbing way.

But what are you expecting to be bettered if you take two products that are mostly the same. The chip differ, but the two constructions are around a single chip DAC and both uses opamp to amplify their signal. Transport is standard on both and wizard corrections are generally the same everywhere.

But the filter could, yes, be setted up differently, in a way you like. But no forum will be able to know if you will like this different setting more than the older one.

In France, they tend to like the 6004 more than the rega. Probaly that in England and the us, it will be exactly the opposite way. But if you search an "improvement" you will need to search more capable players with superior DAC work.

I would spare the money. Or invest it in correct room threatment.

I understand that the Saturn'-R has two dac chips that are superior to the Marantz. Rega also use their own CD operating software that is nothing like the Marantz. I have to disagree with you when you say they are 'mostly the same'.

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

This is why I mentioned the Apollo-R + Dac. It should improve on what he has now and save him a few quid.

From what I've read, the Apollo- R and DAC doesn't quite get you the performance of the Saturn-R. I would also like a one box solution.

Audioholic2013 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

From what I've read, the Apollo- R and DAC doesn't quite get you the performance of the Saturn-R. I would also like a one box solution.

It wouldn't have the performance. But you are saving around £500 and the with the Dac added to the Apollo, you'll have the same flexibilty of the Saturn.

If you're concerned about extra boxes, do as I did when I had Rega Dac on home dem: Hide it behind the TV. It is fairly bijou.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

But have you heard these cdps yourself. If I were you I would take your budget and try some different systems, sorry if you already have done so, but it reads as you have not.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
$3000 for the Rega Saturn-R is a lot of money to spend. I think you would be much better off allocating the money elsewhere. Your Brio-R is probably not really driving those AE speakers very well. The 301's like a lot of power and its impeadence curve dips to 2 ohms I say sell your amp, CD player and speakers for about $1500 used and then add that to the $3000 you were going to spend on the Saturn-R. This will give you $4500 to play around with for new system. I am confident this new system will sound much better then just adding a Saturn-R to your system.

If you like Rega then go for the new Elex-R. I just bought one and it is quite a bit better than the Brio-R. Buy an Apollo-R CD player with it for now with the knowledge you can upgrade it by adding the new Rega DAC-R in the future. Then add a pair of speakers that you like. It is nice to keep it all Rega by getting a pair of RS3's. That's $4200 retail. With some discounts this leaves you plenty of room for some nice cables as well.

To sum up, this system will sound very good, better than what you have now, and better than if you just added the Saturn-R to your system. You can also grow into it by adding the DAC-R latter and a turntable if you like.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
If you like Rega then go for the new Elex-R. I just bought one and it is quite a bit better than the Brio-R.

I recently traded my Brio-R in for the Elex-R. A huge improvement on a very fine amp. I went for the Elex-R because it was so much better priced than the Elicit-R. It does seem to drive the LS50's well, with plenty of reserve at both bottom and top of the volume dial. I never did compare the Elex-R with the Elicit-R in the shop...But the seller had and found not too much difference. [I don't need the digital extras of the Elicit]. How much better really is the Elicit-R?

Indeed, unless you are a Rega fanatic and must have an all-Rega system, and good though the Saturn-R is, I believe you could do better for the money resulting in a more balanced system. (I'm all for getting the source right before anything else but there comes a limit).

Audioholic2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm no longer looking at the £1600 Rega Saturn-R, I feel that it's an awful of of money to spend on a CD player. I'm now looking at the Rega Apollo-R, I've read excellent reviews for this CD player, I know it won't be like the Saturn-R, but with the new Rega Dac-R, I might get close to the Saturn-R in terms of performance?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:
I'm no longer looking at the £1600 Rega Saturn-R, I feel that it's an awful of of money to spend on a CD player. I'm now looking at the Rega Apollo-R, I've read excellent reviews for this CD player, I know it won't be like the Saturn-R, but with the new Rega Dac-R, I might get close to the Saturn-R in terms of performance?

Maybe but its best to have an audition if you can. Yes it is a lot of money to spend on a cdp in this day and age.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Audioholic2013 said:

it wont be far off !

Ive dem'd both not much in it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts