Rega RS3 v R5

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question?

Ive seen some good deals on Rega RS3 speakers and also some good deals on the older but larger R5's.

I was just wondering if anyone had compaired the two or can share any advise on which they think is the better speaker?

This will be paired up with Rega RP1 with expansion kit and Rega Brio R.

Many thanks in advance,

James

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for everyones input, sounds like Im on a good path *biggrin*

I have another question for you. Placement. Im trying to upload a photo of my set-up, I hope it works.

image1_zps0oibqt1m.jpg

What I would like to do, is get rid of the unit that holds the records and has the turntable on it. Replace the stand mounted speakers with the Rega RS3's, bass drivers pointed outwards. I could house the Brio-R in the area below the TV, but where should I put the Turntable? The Rega RP1 comes with a built in phono lead which is only 1m long, so restricts how far away I can place the Turntable. Is there a reason for the phono lead being this long? For sound loss?

The other option is to leave the record unit were it is and leave the Turntable on it with the Brio-R next to it. But this would then ristrict the bass drivers of the RS3's on that side.

So what would you guys suggest?

Once again, many thanks in advance for your input.

James

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Al Ears,

Thanks for the reply, it's a rented appartment at the moment, so I dont want to drill any holes in the wall.

Maybe a slimmer unit to hold the records and TT? Or a dedicated Hi-Fi rack for the TT & Brio-R? But then, if the RS3's bass driver is being fired outwards, towards the TT, would it effect the TT in some way?

Cheers,

J

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the RS5's in a 4m wide by 5m long room with the speakers a good metre out from both the back and side walls. I also demoed the RS3's - the difference is scale and bass. Looking at your room layout I would go with the RS3's. Lovely speakers and very nice with the Brio.

squidded said:
Hi Al Ears,

Thanks for the reply, it's a rented appartment at the moment, so I dont want to drill any holes in the wall.

Maybe a slimmer unit to hold the records and TT? Or a dedicated Hi-Fi rack for the TT & Brio-R? But then, if the RS3's bass driver is being fired outwards, towards the TT, would it effect the TT in some way?

Cheers,

J

Possibly, and the drivers don't have to face outwards. Try them in both positions and see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts