Rega RS1-- Monitor Audio RX1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
More or less decided on Rega RS1's for my small room , close to the wall speakers but I've got to travel a long way to audition them. My local dealer says please listen to the new Monitor Audio RX1 (tomorrow) , he's also got the RX2's which he can discount.

Anybody heard any of these new speakers?

(I've got Arcam 5 cd/amp)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dave (from Frank Harvey HiFi) stocks both Rega and MA. He might have compared both.

I have heard the Rega RS1 but not the new MA RX1 so could not offer any comparative opinions.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

I have heard the Rega RS1

What was the source and what did you think of them

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the Rega RS1 on different occasions first with Naim Nait XS/CD5X and then Nait 5i/CD5i and an Arcam Solo Mini.

Not suprisingly most impressive with the Nait XS/CD5X where it displayed uncanny imaging and scale for a smaller speaker. At no point was I bothered by the lack of low bass.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Chebby.

The Rega speakers, when partnered with a decent amplifier, just seem to sound right, and as Chebby states, any shortcomings can be easily overlooked. They'll be more happy against the wall than the RX's will be. The RS1's are quite a sweet sounding speaker, therefore quite lively - I wouldn't say the same can be said for the RX1 or RX2. MA have smoothed them off so much they sound a little dull unless they're partnered with an energetic amplifier - not my cup 'o' tea, but may be yours. Used properly though, the RX's are very good speakers, especially for those that like a bit of volume every now and again........

A

Anonymous

Thanks David and Chebby I'll let you know what I think of the MA's tomorrow

A

Anonymous

Listened to the Monitor Audio RX1's today with Arcam CD 17 and Arcam a28 amp.

Had them about 70mm from rear wall and played "Tryin" off Achtung Baby (U2) with its low bass which really vibrates against walls and windows. Sound was really wooly and even pulling out MA's to 300mm the track was still muddled. Put speakers back to 70mm and put foam bungs (supplied) in rear ports as recommended by MA, result was a clear and coherent sound from a very deep song.

With that out of the way I played various other tunes and was delighted with the sound.

Tomorrow I am listening to The Rega RS1's

A

Anonymous

Auditioned the Rega RS1's today with Arcam CD 17 nad Arcam a18 amp.

Not as "big" sounding as the MA RX1 but fantastic clarity. On looks there is no contest the MA's are beautiful but it was a case of horses for courses, why put a speaker against a wall with a foam bung in the back to stop bass boom when you can have one made for the job.

I've ordered a pair of Rega's in Piano black
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BazP:
Not as "big" sounding as the MA RX1 but fantastic clarity......

.....I've ordered a pair of Rega's in Piano black
emotion-1.gif

I may very well be following you in this choice very soon.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BazP

As good as the RX1's are, in an A/B comparison against a wall, the Regas will win every time. As you state, the RX1's have their strong points, and will suit a certain type of customer. Because they've smoothed off the treble so much, it would've been nice if they backed off the bass a little too, or even front port them. Having said that, if you have the room, they're a bargain for £399, and beautifully finished as you say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts