Rega RP6 vs Clear Audio Concept

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Morning all!

So tomorrow I'm demoing the RP6, my local store doesn't have the Clear Audio in, which is annouying.

Just wondering if anyone has tried both and which they went for?

I'll also be trying the Rega Phono, my amp doesn't have a phono stage.

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was a Rega dealer for many years and I think their crowning achievement was the Planar 3 of the early/mid '80s.

Since then I do not feel that they have moved forward much at all, the RP1 feels poorly put together and I can not see where the RP3 improves on the old model. In general I do not see anything like the same VFM, the RP6 particularly look expensive to me, building the PSU outboard was always going to be an expensive option and though the fit and finish is better than the cheaper models it is nothing special. The Rega cartriges are not to my taste either, the complete 'package' sounding rather mediocre in my view.

I was very taken with the Concept, when I first heard it the UK price was much higher than it is now and I was pretty impressed, the Concept MC and Nano phono stage that I tried was then a shade over £2k, noticeably less expensive now. I guess you can see where I am going with this......

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your input, interesting read. I think it's pretty easy to get swept up on the Rega train.

I do have an RP1 at the moment, which has been a good think to use whilst I concenrated on building home cinema up.

But now I find myself always going for the vinyl for extended, and more pleasureable listening sessions.

Plus, the rest of my system is miles above the RP1 so it's time to do it some justice on the vinyl side.

I'd be looking at the MM Clear Audio, not the MC. What are your thoughts on that?

I'd also need a phono stage as the Electrocompaniet doesn't have one. But to start I'd just get the Rega Fono.

My local place do sell the Clear Audio, just dont have one. I think I'll push them into letting me pay for the Rega, take a demo one home while I wait for them to get a Clear Audio in. If they know I'm going to drop over 1k with them, they should do their best to get one in.

Thanks

afterworks said:
Thanks for your input, interesting read. I think it's pretty easy to get swept up on the Rega train.

I do have an RP1 at the moment, which has been a good think to use whilst I concenrated on building home cinema up.

But now I find myself always going for the vinyl for extended, and more pleasureable listening sessions.

Plus, the rest of my system is miles above the RP1 so it's time to do it some justice on the vinyl side.

I'd be looking at the MM Clear Audio, not the MC. What are your thoughts on that?

I'd also need a phono stage as the Electrocompaniet doesn't have one. But to start I'd just get the Rega Fono.

My local place do sell the Clear Audio, just dont have one. I think I'll push them into letting me pay for the Rega, take a demo one home while I wait for them to get a Clear Audio in. If they know I'm going to drop over 1k with them, they should do their best to get one in.

Thanks

I think it is quite apparent that both davedotco and I sing from the same hymnsheet when it comes to the current Rega turntables (especially low to midrange items).

I might suggest that if it is your ultimate intention to get the Clearaudio then you might be better off also getting the Nano rather than the Rega Phono as, synergy aside it will give you the opportunity to run MC cartridges if you wish to do so at some point in the future, it's also better built and looks spot-on, in my opinion.

If the Clearaudio is you goal then I wouldn't bother your dealer with the intermediate step of the demo Rega just tell them to get a Clearaudio in or you'll be off elsewhere (dealer or internet) to get it, they are unlikely to refuse as I am sure they value your custom whether it be £1000+ or £100.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have really only heard the MC, my dealer friend, where I heard it, suggested it was well worth the extra over the MM. My personal view is extremely pro MC, I think they make a huge difference, hence the suggestion for the Nano phono stage.

As always the way forward is to audition for yourself but I understand just how difficult that can be. Rega is very much a 'prestige' brand for the dealer, given the still modest level of TT sales, it is very difficult for him to justify stocking all the options. Makes it difficult I know, you can try the Rega for yourself but might have to 'take a punt' on the Clearaudio setup.

I am not normally one suggesting you should hassle a dealer for a discount, but in this case since he does not have the product in stock you could ask him for a special price on the basis that you pay with order. The dealer can take advantage of any early payment terms and pass the savings on to you. Pretty much a win win.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
is the new Pro-Ject 2 Xpression Sb DC package. Hi-fi Choice seemed to view it favorably over the Rega RP6. Although I'm sure the Clearaudio has more appeal than the Pro-ject. Just saying... ;-)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
is the new Pro-Ject 2 Xpression Sb DC package. Hi-fi Choice seemed to view it favorably over the Rega RP6. Although I'm sure the Clearaudio has more appeal than the Pro-ject. Just saying... ;-)

Looks very nice, not that familier with the ProJect players so difficult to comment.

Record players are something of a 'thing' with me, not that many, at any price, really work for me, though those that do are really quite special. I was making the point about the setup that I heard, Concept MC/Nano, was at the time the cheapest player that really impressed me, and at that time it was £2k+.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to be honest I have no experience with MC setups, I'd imagine my level of kit wouldn't really do one justice... it's always interesting to read your input and hopefully learn a little from your expertise.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
I have to be honest I have no experience with MC setups, I'd imagine my level of kit wouldn't really do one justice... it's always interesting to read your input and hopefully learn a little from your expertise.

I have always found that the sound of a decent MC is fundamentally different from that of a moving magnet. Dificult to describe without 'over egging' it but I would suggest it is the sort of difference that you would hear comparing a conventional cone speaker like your PMCs with electrostatic or other planar speakers.

Good MCs are generally not cheap and they can be demanding of partnering arms and players, good as your ProJect probably is, you may need better with a really good cartridge. In a sense you are in a difficult position, you have a good cartridge in a setup that suits it, a pretty good balanced setup in fact.

To go from where you are to an MC would be an expensive proposition, you will need both cartridge and either a step up or a MC phono stage and you are looking well into 4 figures. Given the quality of your speakers (in particular) there is no doubt in my mind that the improvement would be substantial but at a cost.

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I understand not being able to have everything in. They'll be selling a lot more RP1's than £1000 TT's.

I took a punt on my Electrocompaniet amp through advise on this board, someone found me a half price ex display model and got it fo £1500 and I couldn't have been happier with it, so it's worked for me in the past :)

I'll go listen to the Rega, mainly because I haven't heard my records on a higher end TT before. I'm excited at the prospect.

But, I'll be ordering the Cear Concept. Seems like the better option, and with the matched phono stage I'm on a good upgrade path furtehr down the line. Once I've had it for a while and need to replace the cartridge, I'll go MC.

Out of curiosity, is the Nano the best option to pair with it, I imagine I'd be willing to uprade the phono stage at a later date, so I'm just wondering whether it's the best phono stage pairing for the £300 mark to get me started.

Thanks

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
the fact you've taken the time to share your thoughts. It's very interesting. I'm relatively new this whole process and I'm viewing it in terms of the long haul, many options to consider and explore and obviously financing to consider. This forum and members like yourself willing to share add to the pleasure. Kind Regards.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same position....long story short. My dealer has both. RP6 and Clearaudio Concept MM. Tried them both because Concept had more appeal, with the speed selector built in, no external power supply etc. Then i tried the RP6 with Exact cartridge. And went home with it. WHF was right, dont try anything else at this price before listenjng the RP6 first. To my ears it was a beeter, fuller sound and a sweetnes and rhythmicity aboce Clearaudio. Clearaudio wss fast, detailed but thiner, smaller and less musical.
I tried them on Spendor A5 with Rega phono and Micromega MyGroove. The Micromega was better and was added to the deal.
Do youself a favor and try them both. I am not saying that RP6 is the best and Rega is the turntables' Mesiah. You might find that Clearaudio is better. I never owned a turntable before so i wasnt biased. Actually i thought that i would go back home with the Clearaudio. Until i tried the Rega. Since tben i am listening mostly to vinyl and didnt feel any need to uograde.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have only ever heard the MC combination and one of the big things for me was the lack of vinyl 'bloom'.

Unusually for a vinyl enthusiast, I find the (fake) bloom or warmth that dominates the sound on most budget and midprice players unlistenable, for serious use anyway.

I have often spoken how really good players start to sound closer to CD than their cheaper brethren and the Concept MC was the cheapest player I had tried that did this, the music stood on it's own, without the sound of the player getting in the way.

To me this is important, it makes all the difference, the nature of the source becomes irrelevant, just the music remains.

afterworks said:
Yeah I understand not being able to have everything in. They'll be selling a lot more RP1's than £1000 TT's.

I took a punt on my Electrocompaniet amp through advise on this board, someone found me a half price ex display model and got it fo £1500 and I couldn't have been happier with it, so it's worked for me in the past :)

I'll go listen to the Rega, mainly because I haven't heard my records on a higher end TT before. I'm excited at the prospect.

But, I'll be ordering the Cear Concept. Seems like the better option, and with the matched phono stage I'm on a good upgrade path furtehr down the line. Once I've had it for a while and need to replace the cartridge, I'll go MC.

Out of curiosity, is the Nano the best option to pair with it, I imagine I'd be willing to uprade the phono stage at a later date, so I'm just wondering whether it's the best phono stage pairing for the £300 mark to get me started.

Thanks

I would say it is unless you are going to look at second-hand gear. In which case the Trichord Dino Mk2 might be a better bet.

TRENDING THREADS