REGA RP1 + YAMAHA RX-V775 low volume level

Tomislav

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I just bought a new Rega RP1 turntable and connected it to my Yamaha RX-V775 receiver that has PHONO input for the turntable. But when I play any vinyl, the music is not so loud as you would expect - aprox 40 % lower. If I play any CD, mp3, BD, dvd, the music level is much bettter/louder. Is this normal that turntable music is lower volume than other sources?

Thanks for the help

Tomislav said:
Hello!

I just bought a new Rega RP1 turntable and connected it to my Yamaha RX-V775 receiver that has PHONO input for the turntable. But when I play any vinyl, the music is not so loud as you would expect - aprox 40 % lower. If I play any CD, mp3, BD, dvd, the music level is much bettter/louder. Is this normal that turntable music is lower volume than other sources?

Thanks for the help

Like most receivers built these days the addition of a phono input is almost an afterthought. If it does indeed have a phono preamp fitted it is obviously a very poor one as it should be amplifying the weak signal from your cartridge to line level.

I would suggest you look at a cheap stand-alone phono preamp.

Tomislav

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the answer. I will look for a preamp to solve the problem :)

Al ears said:
Tomislav said:
Hello!

Thanks for the help

Like most receivers built these days the addition of a phono input is almost an afterthought. If it does indeed have a phono preamp fitted it is obviously a very poor one as it should be amplifying the weak signal from your cartridge to line level.

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The phono stage is the most obvious culprit.

If the sound from the vinyl is lacking bass and sounds weird too, then it could be that Rega have put the wiring on the back of the cartridge out of phase e.g. two of the wires are the wrong way around.

You can normally detect that by shifting the balance all the way left and then all the way right. If one channel has bass and the other does not, check the wiring.

dtmark said:
The phono stage is the most obvious culprit.

If the sound from the vinyl is lacking bass and sounds weird too, then it could be that Rega have put the wiring on the back of the cartridge out of phase e.g. two of the wires are the wrong way around.

You can normally detect that by shifting the balance all the way left and then all the way right. If one channel has bass and the other does not, check the wiring.

Not sure the receiver will have a balance control.

Tomislav

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Today I will test a phono amp. Will let you know if that will fix the problem :)

Al ears said:
Tomislav said:
Hello!

Thanks for the help

Tomislav

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
So I tested out the phono amp with my configuration, and it wasn't any noticable difference. But when I changed the speakers, there was difference. A lot :) So now I will invest in some new speakers :)

Tomislav said:
So I tested out the phono amp with my configuration, and it wasn't any noticable difference. But when I changed the speakers, there was difference. A lot :) So now I will invest in some new speakers :)
Although new speakers might be louder (i.e. more sensitive), the difference in volume between sources - LP, CD, Blu-Ray, radio, etc - will surely remain?

Tomislav

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
Tomislav said:
Although new speakers might be louder (i.e. more sensitive), the difference in volume between sources - LP, CD, Blu-Ray, radio, etc - will surely remain?

Yes, the difference will remain, but It will be easier to listen to LP that it is now. That is the point of this reaserch/upgrade :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts