Rega R3 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts/experience of these speakers? On a previous post these were recommended as suitable for smallish speakers that could sit against the wall. I have a pair on demo at the moment and am very impressed by them considering their size. However the image is very focused and comes out dead central and low down, and the stage seems very left and right rather than all around (top area missing), if that makes sense. Have I maybe got them too far apart (~2 m), or can the fronts be tipped up slightly?

I think my current Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3s are just better, but they lose out (in my other half's eyes) because they are larger and need to be away from the wall. Cambridge A&R A60 amp, Marantz CD7200, Rega Planar 3.

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Kirkview:

Anyone have any thoughts/experience of these speakers? On a previous post these were recommended as suitable for smallish speakers that could sit against the wall. I have a pair on demo at the moment and am very impressed by them considering their size. However the image is very focused and comes out dead central and low down, and the stage seems very left and right rather than all around (top area missing), if that makes sense. Have I maybe got them too far apart (~2 m), or can the fronts be tipped up slightly?

I think my current Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3s are just better, but they lose out (in my other half's eyes) because they are larger and need to be away from the wall. Cambridge A&R A60 amp, Marantz CD7200, Rega Planar 3.

Thanks

Hi kirkview

they are small floorstanders by any standards and have tweeters mounted below the midrange/woofer unit. We normally place them on granite slabs which is a good solution for any floorstanders (or stand mounts) for reasons of decoupling but especially in this case to bring the tweeters nearer to ear height when seated. If thats not practical prop the front up so the speakers are firing at a slight angle.

They are focused, very clear and open, quite a revelation compared to some more diffuse sounding speakers. With adequate amplification/source you should have good soundstage. I am not familiar with your Neo's but if you prefer them then why not hang on to them.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread...

DM - How do you rate the Rega 5's in comparrison to the R3's?

I'm toying with the idea of the R5's to match with my Arcam set-up (will obviously go to demo them first) but i prefer the looks and reviews of the R5's over the R3's.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, you can expect a quicker more transparent sound with tighter, punchier bass and sweeter treble. In the other corner ... your speakers look more 'high tech'. Enjoy

A

Anonymous

These are good speakers, especially when partnered with it's Rega siblings.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. I tried firing them upwards, which did help a little but also seemd to upset things with excess bass. They are remarkable little speakers but on balance I'll stick to moving my Neo's away from the wall when I want a proper listen (much to someone else's disappintment).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
With your system, Acoustic Energy should be more lively while Rega R3's natural sound could be a tad too smooth and some may found they are lacking in pace. Upgrade your electronics to midrange though and Rega will shine, BARGAIN at the price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'm still dithering about the R3s. Now to start off on the endless upgrade question...If I did get the R3s (and kept my Marantz CD7200 and Pega Planar 3) what would be a suitable amp (with phono stage) to consider. Rotel RA-04, Rega Brio3? I wouldn't mind an eBay option e.g. Arcam Alpha 9. You get an idea of my price range...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts