Rega question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
THESTIG08 said:
plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
John Duncan said:
plastic penguin said:
I'll defy anyone who would honestly say that Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

As can NaimUniti/PMC DB1i, obv

Mr. David Harvey was talking about Rega systems and defying anyone disprove that theory. I've given him an alternative that is as good as I've heard, including the Leema. Alas, he's refused...

if you hav'nt heard the rega set up how can you say you can beat it? i have heard it and would agree with david, it is very difficult indeed to better it pound 4 pound from new! although if buying second hand it may be possible.

Please read my post above. It clearly states: "I've given him an alternative that is as good as I've heard, including the Leema."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It's very difficult to argue. You have never heard an all Rega system such as the Apollo/Mira/RS3s and few of us have ever heard the exact Arcam/Rotel/MA system you described (and could not easily hear now without buying it all on eBay first!)

Not a valid or viable comparison really. Even you cannot be certain until you've heard an all Rega system.

A

Anonymous

Do the 30 mile trip and let us know what you think. The speakers do sound a tad too thin, except when they're running through the Mira. I'm guessing if you put a tt as a frontend, they'll sound just right.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
they would still sound a little thinner than I would like, but good fun to listen to,

Rega's aim seems to be to produce a hi-fi standard MUSIC replay system, rather than a hi fi system that rips all the various strands apart for you to listen to them in wonderous detail, and forgets to turn them back into a coherent whole to allow you to enjoy the music.

chebby said:
It's very difficult to argue. You have never heard an all Rega system such as the Apollo/Mira/RS3s and few of us have ever heard the exact Arcam/Rotel/MA system you described (and could not easily hear now without buying it all on eBay first!)

Not a valid or viable comparison really. Even you cannot be certain until you've heard an all Rega system.

Whoa! hold on. At no point have I stated (in this thread or any others) that the aforementioned combos are comparable or better or worse. I was just making a light-hearted response to Mr. Coventry after his first post on this thread. This just seem to have spiralled out of control.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Having followed a bit of pp's previous posts on Arcam, he was an experienced user and found similarities between Arcam and Leema amplification. So it doesn't seem odd that he has voiced his admiration for the Arcam-MA chemistry whilst not owning an Arcam amp (at the moment).

Don't think I want to get really entrenched into this thread as I'm still in my Rega honeymoon and don't want to read too much brickbats about Lord Gandy's wondrous creations. :shame: I do want to take issue with the inferences made that Rega is less 'hifi'-sounding than other brands and as a consequence less precise or less faithful to the source material. Certainly not finding that to be the case with mine. :rockout:

SS

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
when i looked into the rega room at the show yesterday they were playing vinyl, guess they had had enough of listening to the dac and new apollo. cant remember the turn table but it was a budget rega deck played through the brio r and its phono stage into rs3's. it sounded very nice indeed and fluid i guess would be a good adjective, not in your face, overly detailed or harsh in the least

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts