Rega Plannar 1 Plus stress

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to upgrade current system of Audio-Technica AT-LP60X and Edifer R1000T4 speakers and used this site to shop for something better in my budget. Chose The Rega Plannar 1 Plus and Elac Debut B5.2 speakers because of the great reviews here.

The deck arrived yesterday and it felt like Christmas morning but when trying to hook it up, could not get any sound out of my left Edifer speaker (Elacs haven't arrived yet). Speakers are amped and checked them with my laptop and speakers don't seem to be the issue. The deck should be a plug-and-go deal.

The supplier tech support was helpful and with a little trouble-shooting told me he thought it was probably the deck's RCA input. I don't really understand this so if anyone has any good links, I would appreciate it. He suggested I return it and now I'm not sure I want a replacement or refund. Shame cos it's a beautiful looking machine.

Is there any chance this is a compatibility issue with the speakers? Any reason to hold onto it and see if new speakers work or will there be the same problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Gray

The first thing you need to do is confirm whether or not the Rega turntable is faulty.

With its sound coming out of your working (right) Edifier, swap the RCA plugs on the RP1+ (zero the volume before plug swapping).

If sound is still ok on the previously working Edifier, there's nothing wrong with the Rega.
If not, then the Rega has no L channel output.

As stated above, the RP1+ alone will be no good into the Elacs.
You will need either an integrated amp or a power amp (with volume control).

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far.
Pity but I've put a return request in for the Elacs.
Gray: Did what you said and now the sound's just coming out of the left. Does that mean faulty RP1+?

Sounds like the deck is faulty. Either cartridge wiring or in the phono preamp
If both your RCA cables are securely attached it should work fine.
Don't know your speakers, do they have one speaker that is amplified and one that isn't?
How are the two speakers connected? Wired I guess...
As @Gray says those Elacs are going to need an integrated amplifier to drive them.

Reactions: drob107

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Looks like it needs returning then. Not a good first impression so not sure if I will get a replacement.

Current speakers are powered and amped through right speaker and yup, left is connected to it with speaker wire.

TBH I think I was more excited about upgrading speakers. Was hoping to stick with something similar that don't need a separate amp. Have been getting into HD digital downloads too so that's a big reason I wanted to step up my game.

Gray

Does that mean faulty RP1+?
Yes.
You've confirmed no left channel output from the Rega.

You could check the cartridge wiring - but as it was 'plug and play', you shouldn't have to do that.

As the deck only arrived with you yesterday, I would advise you to accept nothing less than your choice of brand new replacement or refund.
Best not to accept a repair (even if they say that would be a quick option).

Looks like it needs returning then. Not a good first impression so not sure if I will get a replacement.

Current speakers are powered and amped through right speaker and yup, left is connected to it with speaker wire.

TBH I think I was more excited about upgrading speakers. Was hoping to stick with something similar that don't need a separate amp. Have been getting into HD digital downloads too so that's a big reason I wanted to step up my game.
if you want speakers with an inbuilt amp you can forget those Elacs... :)

Gray

Was hoping to stick with something similar that don't need a separate amp.
Why not?
There are some decent options, including from Acoustic Energy and Triangle.

Note that some powered speakers have a built-in phono preamp.
If you were to go for one of those, the Rega RP1+ (specifically) must go into an aux line input and not a phono input.

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site

We have established that I'm out of my depth without adding more variables. I want the best possible sound for my budget (obviously), so would I always be better off adding a separate amp? Should I be thinking of getting cheaper speakers and deck so that I can get an amp? Budget ones I'm seeing here are more expensive than the deck.

Any opinions of what I should make a priority of now I have to revise. Spent around £640, so that's what I'm comfortable spending. Maybe getting a nice amp and keeping my old speakers?
Thanks again.

Gray

1) would I always be better off adding a separate amp?

2) Maybe getting a nice amp and keeping my old speakers?
1) Not necessarily, but it would give you more choice.
2) You wouldn't need an amp - with a working RP1+ into your Edifiers.

It's a lot of money but £640 might be spread too thinly for decent amp and speakers (at least for separates that would significantly beat RP1+ into your Edifiers).

Reactions: Al ears and drob107

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I do want to upgrade the speakers though and so whatever I look at, I feel they'll have to be active speakers.

Gray

I do want to upgrade the speakers though and so whatever I look at, I feel they'll have to be active speakers.
Again, nothing's set in stone.
Have a look and see what you think of the Tangent Ampster 2.
Gives a lot for its price and would leave you enough budget to pick from some decent little passive standmount speakers....and maybe some £100 stands to optimise the speakers' performance (if you haven't already got stands).

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Just checked out that amp and it looks affordable with great ratings. If I decide to keep the Elacs would they work together? Don't know if there are minimum specs for speakers or if using the wrong amp, you are just wasting their potential. Def got me thinking of amps now.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

If I decide to keep the Elacs would they work together?
They'd certainly work. The amp isn't the most powerful you can get (as you would expect).
And the Elac aren't the most sensitive speakers.
But in a small to medium room it's likely to be fine.
More of a question is whether the Elac sound would suit you, usually more of an issue (subjectively) with speakers than amps.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I think you had good advices but not amplified speakers with a integrated amp will have a more clean and deep sound (more expanded) , i would go first for second hand material(if working perfectelly) before new just because of their higher quality and till 150€ there are so many options to choose from , also speakers with great sound no more than 200€ ,as an example i bought a pair of mission 761 4ohms speakers , because it had no grills i bought them for 60€ with transport from Germany,this a model from the 80´s ,they were good and in the next years they released this 760 series with a better design but not half the quality ,and this when new were considered very good sounding speakers with 4ohms impedance compared to new and with aceptable sound, i also bought for a friend some old but not sure if they are sold new, wharfedale diamond with 150€ ,see what they ask for them new, also bought a sansui amplifier from early 80´s for 90€+20€ of transport but you do what you think it´s better and already read some good options written by others

Reactions: drob107

drob107

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Rui.
Went with the Tangent amp that was suggested and just got it hooked up to the Elacs. Very happy with it and will no doubt upgrade my deck in the near future. Haven't tried it on anything challenging yet but cool listening to my phone's radio on the amp's bluetooth mode.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts