Question Rega Planar 1 Plus vs Planar 2 with under 100$ phono preamp

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I've been posting lately about speakers and TTs and after reading all the replies I got, I came to this last question.
I'm upgrading my TT (currently Pioneer Pl990 ).

Would a Rega Planar 2 with a cheap phono preamp like a Project Box MM DC Phonograph (79$) sound better than my PL990? or the cheap phono stage would be pointless with the Planar 2?

I can save a bit more and buy a better one next month (+- 200$). These are my initial options: any recommendations ?
Schiit Mani (179$),
Cambridge Audio Alva Solo (149$, my amp is the CXA61),
Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2 MM (175$)
iFi Audio Zen (149)

Thank you!!!

Hi! I've been posting lately about speakers and TTs and after reading all the replies I got, I came to this last question.
I'm upgrading my TT (currently Pioneer Pl990 ).

Would a Rega Planar 2 with a cheap phono preamp like a Project Box MM DC Phonograph (79$) sound better than my PL990? or the cheap phono stage would be pointless with the Planar 2?

I can save a bit more and buy a better one next month (+- 200$). These are my initial options: any recommendations ?
Schiit Mani (179$),
Cambridge Audio Alva Solo (149$, my amp is the CXA61),
Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2 MM (175$)
iFi Audio Zen (149)

Thank you!!!
What is wrong with the Pioneer?
Much of what makes a turntable 'better' is the cartridge.
Regards the phono preamp I would not rush out and buy a cheap one and then replace it next month.
Save until you can afford the Ifi Audio Phono.
Note that I have no idea what the Mani is like so this may be a better option if you are in the States

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts