Rega P2 to Rega Fono MM MK5 to Rega IO grounding problem

TlgSasz

May 28, 2024
Visit site
Hello. I have a grounding issue with Rega P2. I know there are already threads about this. So Rega claims you don’t have to ground your turntable because it is already grounded with rca. But it seems in this system nothing is grounded because Rega Fono MM has a simple DC adapter with two pins and Rega IO amp has 2 pin AC mains socket. Am i right about nothing being grounded in this setup? The only way to ground this setup looks like connecting a wire between wall plug’s grounding pin to the amp or the fono preamp right? Rega is such a pain or i am dumb.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
And what is your problem? Do you hear some humm or? I use Rega turntables for almost 30 years without grounding. No issue yet. I have also Rega Brio as one of my amps. Very silent amp also on MM unput.

TlgSasz

May 28, 2024
Visit site
Oh sorry forgot to add, i hear humming. If i attach a wire from preamp or amp to one of the wall plug’s grounding pin, then it’s gone. But i shouldn’t have to do this in my opinion because it doesn’t look right.

Gray

Rega Fono MM has a simple DC adapter with two pins and Rega IO amp has 2 pin AC mains socket. Am i right about nothing being grounded in this setup?
You'd be right to say that nothing is connected to mains earth in that setup.
But it is grounded - as you say, via the screen in one of the twin RCA cables.

In your case, you've found that connecting chassis ground to mains earth has cured your hum.
It may not look right, but it's obviously your solution 👍

If the look really bothers you, you could swap the IO IEC mains inlet for a 3 pin version and earth it to its chassis - then you could use a 3-core mains lead.
I would say wait till the guarantee expires, but it's guaranteed for life isn't it?

You could ask why it's not earthed as sold - and I wouldn't blame you for asking the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
You'd be right to say that nothing is connected to mains earth in that setup.
But it is grounded - as you say, via the screen in one of the twin RCA cables.

In your case, you've found that connecting chassis ground to mains earth has cured your hum.
It may not look right, but it's obviously your solution 👍

If the look really bothers you, you could swap the IO IEC mains inlet for a 3 pin version and earth it to its chassis - then you could use a 3-core mains lead.
I would say wait till the guarantee expires, but it's guaranteed for life isn't it?

You could ask why it's not earthed as sold - and I wouldn't blame you for asking the question.
Well the turntable earth goes to the phono preamp but no further by sound of it.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts