Rega P2 stylus pressure help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I took the good advice of some people on this forum and bought myself a Rega P2 today, however I am having a a bit of difficulty setting it up. I cannot seem to zero balance the tone arm, the arm (when I can get it "float" by adjusting the balance) moves back to arm rest.

I have set it up and does sound fine (I think) but I would appreciate a little help just so I know all is well.

(Perhaps someone who owns a Rega P2 with the Bias 2 catridge could tell me how many half turns towards the front of the arm the balance needs to be just so I can check I have it roughly right.)

Thank you.
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

Half a turn = 1g.

Turn off the anti-skate mechanism while you're trying to balance the arm. Get it to float, then turn the counterweight back towards the pivot by requisite number of turns (I'm guessing one full turn, more or less - ie 2g). You may also find it sounds better leaving the anti-skate off even after you have because it's a bit vicious, I did.

A

Anonymous

Thank you. The only problem is the manual say that at zero balance the arm should float 1mm above the record which I simply cannot get it to do. When it does float it is above 1mm and it always moves over to the arm rest.

You set the anti-skate to zero for playing records?

John Duncan

Yup, it's a bit overenthusiastic on the RB250 and zero is like, 2g in reality or something. So turn it off and it should float without returning to rest (from memory, I've moved onto a Project lately).

A

Anonymous

O.k., but even with the anti-skate at 0 it still moves back to the arm rest when it "floats". Would this be an example of the overaggressive anti-skating you are referring to or is something amiss?

John Duncan

The former, I think. It's a bit hit and miss with an rb250 anyway, if you want to be more accurate get a 7 quid ortofon stylus gauge and a Hifi News Test Record (though that's a bit steep at 25 quid).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts