Rega P2 humming sound.

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Good morning, can anyone shed any light on what is happening with my rega P2 turntable. when my p2 is connected and I, select phono stage on my amp there is an audible humming coming through the speakers . This stops when i disconnect the rca from the table to the amp , therefor i can eliminate the amp from this problem , this leaves the turntable itself , i susect it is a grounding/earth issue but i can not work out how to stop the noise which is driving me insane . Any ideas ?

camcroft

Reading on Google it appears that it is on the left channel they say you should check at the back of the cartridge but please be careful and check that the blue wire is connected properly to the cartridge if not this can easily be fixed with a pair of tweezers just to push it homeIMG_20201108_161617.jpg

Ah the old Reg a grounding issue eh?
Please see this thread:-

The ground is normally taken with the Left channel ground wire on the cartridge

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Ah the old Reg a grounding issue eh?
Please see this thread:-

The ground is normally taken with the Left channel ground wire on the cartridge
it appears that is a common problem then , i have checked all wires and everything is attached /connected properly , question is , is this something i have to put up with from a £400.00 turntable everytime i turn it on , if so how on earth can rega get away with building something that has this issue ?

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Reading on Google it appears that it is on the left channel they say you should check at the back of the cartridge but please be careful and check that the blue wire is connected properly to the cartridge if not this can easily be fixed with a pair of tweezers just to push it homeView attachment 2192
cheers, i have checked all connections now and all is good in that department

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Then please follow the guides for above as they are more familiar with this type of problem. Good luck I hope that you can find a solution if there is one to be had.
cheers i will endeavor, i am contacting Rega themselves also to see what they have to say on the matter

Reactions: Gray
Have you just connected the turntable for the first time ever? Because that’s different to hum ‘appearing’ in an otherwise untouched system.
If the latter, then I’d suspect some other component or a newly installed item causing an issue. What has changed?

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Have you just connected the turntable for the first time ever? Because that’s different to hum ‘appearing’ in an otherwise untouched system.
If the latter, then I’d suspect some other component or a newly installed item causing an issue. What has changed?
no the P2 has been used before , i have connected another non rega turntable to the system and all good so it is theturntable where the hum is coming from

47steven

Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
nothing has changed through cross checking with other equipment it is definitely the P2 causing the humming

nothing has changed through cross checking with other equipment it is definitely the P2 causing the humming
You may find that trying different sockets makes a difference. Even if as an experiment, you could run an extension lead from the other side of the room, and try plugging the Rega into that.
It is more likely something like that than it has randomly become defective, ime. Obviouslysomething may have got dislodged if theRega has been moved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts