rega fono mini a2d mk2 VS pc line in

Musicman69

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm looking at the rega fono mini a2d mk2 to enable me to digitize my vinyl. However before I spend some of my hard earned cash what is the benefit of the rega's usb to pc over my amp's line out to the line in of my pc? If I use the usb option with audio editing software will the Rega send each song from an album to the pc as and individual file or will the Rega tell the pc software when to cut up the audio between tracks? If it just sends one side of an album, say as one file, and does nothing with it at all what is the benefit over just a line out from my amp to the line in of my pc?

Thanks all.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm looking at the rega fono mini a2d mk2 to enable me to digitize my vinyl. However before I spend some of my hard earned cash what is the benefit of the rega's usb to pc over my amp's line out to the line in of my pc? If I use the usb option with audio editing software will the Rega send each song from an album to the pc as and individual file or will the Rega tell the pc software when to cut up the audio between tracks? If it just sends one side of an album, say as one file, and does nothing with it at all what is the benefit over just a line out from my amp to the line in of my pc?

Thanks all.
I have a AT Turntable with a built in USB i use this too convert vinyl too my Mac then burn too Disc for the car.
the Rega uses the same Audacity software has mine. Has you are playing each song it then converts that too WAV format for your PC .

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Hi all.

Thanks all.
No it will not split into tracks you'll need to do this manually if you feel it is necessary. Audacity is a powerful editing tool. Then of course there's click removal etc., etc.

Many years ago I bought a Korg DS DAC 10R for this very purpose, excellent piece of kit for digitising LPs, but the entire task is very laborious so gave up on the idea rather quickly.

Musicman69

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
I have a AT Turntable with a built in USB i use this too convert vinyl too my Mac then burn too Disc for the car.
the Rega uses the same Audacity software has mine. Has you are playing each song it then converts that too WAV format for your PC .
Hello HiFi, another user has replied on my thread to say the Rega + Audacity wouldn't automatically chop up tracks from an album which is what I'm looking for. I Don't mind what the file format is its the chopping up that I'm looking for. When I play an album I want it to automatically cut up the songs to individual tracks. If it can't do that then I don't see the advantage of the usb connection over the amp's line-out to the pc line-in approach.

Thanks again :)

I don’t know anything about editing an LP side into tracks. But as regards the Rega, surely the point of it is that it sends a digital signal to your PC. A line out from your amp is analogue, so you rely upon whatever ADC resides in the noisy environment of your PC, and that might not sound so good. Have you tried it?

Reactions: WayneKerr

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
HI what you need too remember is that vinyl is a very old format now too convert it too Digi is not easy also its a diffrent sound to a CD much softer.

Vinyl requires a lot of patience do you have that ? lol good luck.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Musicman69

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
I don’t know anything about editing an LP side into tracks. But as regards the Rega, surely the point of it is that it sends a digital signal to your PC. A line out from your amp is analogue, so you rely upon whatever ADC resides in the noisy environment of your PC, and that might not sound so good. Have you tried it?
Hi Nopiano, thanks very much for your advice. That isn't something I'd thought about at all. But this is what I'm hoping to gain from my question and I'm very grateful for the tips and advice so far. Of recent years I've taken to streaming my music around the home to a couple of home theatre pc's and before that cd, mini-disc and tape. I'm getting back into vinyl as my father passed away a few months ago and I've hung onto his Thorens TD180 to play my old vinyl. I was looking to get a phono pre-amp (correct term?) any way but I thought I'd try to get one to enable me to digitise my vinyl as well.

Musicman69

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
HI what you need too remember is that vinyl is a very old format now too convert it too Digi is not easy also its a diffrent sound to a CD much softer.

Vinyl requires a lot of patience do you have that ? lol good luck.
I'll give it a go. Lets get it ripped and split into individual tracks first, baby steps....

Hi Nopiano, thanks very much for your advice. That isn't something I'd thought about at all. But this is what I'm hoping to gain from my question and I'm very grateful for the tips and advice so far. Of recent years I've taken to streaming my music around the home to a couple of home theatre pc's and before that cd, mini-disc and tape. I'm getting back into vinyl as my father passed away a few months ago and I've hung onto his Thorens TD180 to play my old vinyl. I was looking to get a phono pre-amp (correct term?) any way but I thought I'd try to get one to enable me to digitise my vinyl as well.
Sorry to hear about your father’s passing. Yes, it’s a phono pre-amp and the Rega range are very good. (I’ve owned two). The A2D is specifically designed to do what you’re seeking, so although I’ve not used that exact model, it’s a good place to start.

They are often available used and can be resold easily, which means you could buy and sell with little risk.

Musicman69

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your father’s passing. Yes, it’s a phono pre-amp and the Rega range are very good. (I’ve owned two). The A2D is specifically designed to do what you’re seeking, so although I’ve not used that exact model, it’s a good place to start.

They are often available used and can be resold easily, which means you could buy and sell with little risk.
Thanks again Nopiano (y):)

Gray

the Rega + Audacity wouldn't automatically chop up tracks from an album which is what I'm looking for.
If only.....you'll be lucky :giggle:
Unlike when ripping CDs, you need to do most of the work.

I'm another one that has done a bit of vinyl ripping
If I explain what I did on each album....you'll understand why, if you do it properly you might not want to bother:

Before starting, play through enough to gauge and set the record level - as it's essential that there is no overload during recording (much more so than when you might have recorded to tape in the past).
Monitor recordings on headphones - you don't want the slightest chance of feedback from speakers being permanently recorded.
1) Record the entire album (in real time of course, unlike multispeed CD ripping), to get your initial file for editing.
2) Divide all tracks - as accurately as you desire track gaps / starts to be when eventually skipping tracks during playback.
3) Edit down the side change time, so that it becomes just another, equally timed, track gap.
4) Manually isolate and remove all clicks and pops (Manually because auto, blanket click removal audibly removes some higher frequencies). At least it's rewarding losing a click that you've always been used to enduring.
5) Leave it as WAV or convert your file to FLAC (the easiest thing you'll do).
6) Manually add all metadata.
7) Search for and add the (best quality) album cover art.

I've said this before - but I'm sure some of them wrote and recorded the albums in less time than it took me to rip the vinyl (properly).

If you're going to bother, do only the vinyl that you cannot buy or hear on any other format
and be sure to back up regularly as you will not want to repeat the process.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

If only.....you'll be lucky :giggle:
Unlike when ripping CDs, you need to do most of the work.

I'm another one that has done a bit of vinyl ripping
If I explain what I did on each album....you'll understand why, if you do it properly you might not want to bother:

Before starting, play through enough to gauge and set the record level - as it's essential that there is no overload during recording (much more so than when you might have recorded to tape in the past).
Monitor recordings on headphones - you don't want the slightest chance of feedback from speakers being permanently recorded.
1) Record the entire album (in real time of course, unlike multispeed CD ripping), to get your initial file for editing.
2) Divide all tracks - as accurately as you desire track gaps / starts to be when eventually skipping tracks during playback.
3) Edit down the side change time, so that it becomes just another, equally timed, track gap.
4) Manually isolate and remove all clicks and pops (Manually because auto, blanket click removal audibly removes some higher frequencies). At least it's rewarding losing a click that you've always been used to enduring.
5) Leave it as WAV or convert your file to FLAC (the easiest thing you'll do).
6) Manually add all metadata.
7) Search for and add the (best quality) album cover art.

I've said this before - but I'm sure some of them wrote and recorded the albums in less time than it took me to rip the vinyl (properly).

If you're going to bother, do only the vinyl that you cannot buy or hear on any other format
and be sure to back up regularly as you will not want to repeat the process.
Brilliant explanation, Gray... hence why I gave up :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts