Rega elex r paired with wharfedale denton

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi thanks for all the feedback, looking forward to trying the dentons . Just got a audiolab 8200cd also. Was just watching a review on the Dali opticon 2 mk2 ….they sound great to be honest, has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks again for all your comments.

rainsoothe

Hi. Why P3 with upgrades and not P6 all the way instead? Couls also look at a Technics SL1500 C instead of the P3 and replace the Ortofon Red with a Nagaoka MP150 when you can.

For the record, if you go with a Rega, get their best belt (I forgot the name) to replace the basic one, it makes a world of difference to pitch stability (it will kill you if you're as sensitive to it as I am). No such problem with a Technics, obviously...

Hi thanks for all the feedback, looking forward to trying the dentons . Just got a audiolab 8200cd also. Was just watching a review on the Dali opticon 2 mk2 ….they sound great to be honest, has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks again for all your comments.
Where did you see this review of the Opticons, online?

If so - for goodness sake - go and listen to a pair with your amp. Will they better than the Dentons? No idea, but please don't just choose by what you see or read on online, written reviews alone. It'll only end up with further agony.... and a smaller bank balance.

Where did you see this review of the Opticons, online?

If so - for goodness sake - go and listen to a pair with your amp. Will they better than the Dentons? No idea, but please don't just choose by what you see or read on online, written reviews alone. It'll only end up with further agony.... and a smaller bank balance.
Says he has just watched a review so sounds like YouTube. Hardly a way to audition speakers......
I am amazed at the number of people that do this, it's nonsensical.
"Well it sounded good through my tablets speakers...." :)
There's no helping some people...

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Just that some reviews have said that the new tweeter is much smoother and the over all sound tighter than the Oberon….and thats the only issue I had with the Oberon 5s. Don’t worry will audition before buying.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, got my Dentons …and very happy, still running in though, apparently they open up much more after around 100 hours. Work well with the elex r and audiolab 8200cd, just need to upgrade turntable next…any suggestions would be appreciated…am edging towards the rega p6, should work a treat.

Reactions: Tinman1952
Hi, got my Dentons …and very happy, still running in though, apparently they open up much more after around 100 hours. Work well with the elex r and audiolab 8200cd, just need to upgrade turntable next…any suggestions would be appreciated…am edging towards the rega p6, should work a treat.
Depends on what you want to spend.... :)
You might also look at Pro-ject decks or MOFI

MettaV

Aug 1, 2022
Visit site
I’m wondering how you are getting on with the Dentons? Did they successfully tame the brightness that was troubling you without losing detail? Do you ever notice the “shrillness” with female vocals that some folks have described? I also have a Rega amp (paired with B&W 805 Matrix speakers) and am experiencing a bit of listening fatigue despite loving the dynamic, detailed and engaging sound.

I would question anyone who said this about the Dentons.... they do however present all the details in your audio chain so would reveal weaknesses elsewhere...
Well, I experienced it. Just couldn't get the Dentons to sound right.

When I had mine I even compared them to the RS6s, and there's no shrillness with their metal dome tweeter.

There's no obvious weakness with the amp as I've not experienced vocal shrillness before. I can't really explain why.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the late response. Am loving the Dentons, now got the 85s..tweaked with a 2ohm resistor and love them…paired with a td160mk1. The bass is great and no shrillness in the top end now. can listen for hours.

MettaV

Aug 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the update. It sounds like there’s been a bit of a journey. What led you to switch to the 85s? I’m curious about where the 2ohm resistor went, did you modify the crossover? What aspect of the sound were you addressing with it?

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, thought the 80s were slightly too veiled, the 85s offer better clarity and tighter base with a bigger sound stage, although as reviews say the tweeter a little harsh…the resistor rectify’s this and also gives slightly more base too. I just replaced one of the gold + by wire connectors at the back of both speakers, and now sound very smooth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts