Rega Elex-r/ ATC SCM11

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Just a post for anyone considering this pairing. I could find very little info myself prior to giving it a go.

Well, does it work?

It is hands down the best sounding set up I have ever put together, and I have been through quite a few! I don't know if Rega understate the power of their amps but coming from the Roksan Kandy K2 BTs 150 wpc to the Elex-r 72 wpc I was expecting loss of control, weaker bass, reduced soundstage etc but this has not been the case at all.

The sound is fuller, packed with detail and hugely more enjoyable. I'm useless at describing how a system sounds but I strongly suggest anyone interested not to rule this paring out based on specs or forum opinions and go have a demo. Big scale dynamics is the only area where the Roksan initially seems to better the Elex-r but even here I've grown to appreciate the Regas more subtle approach. Dynamic sweeps are packed with detail that I just did not get from the Roksan. I imagine the Roksan could possibly top the Elex-r for outright volume but I've never had the need to push either amp far enough to test this out. Both can go to the boundaries of what I could take and do so without strain or distortion.

I initially feared the Elex-r was a little bright sounding but this genuinely settles down after a few days. I never held much belief in electronics running in time but now I'm convinced. I've had amps previously that I considered too bright and that didn't change so they had to go. The Rega sorted itself out somehow.

The real highlight of the system is the curved ATC SCM11s however. They are amazing. I think anyone who's a fan of Kef LS50s, which I had for just under a year, would truely enjoy the SCM11s. They are a very nice upgrade from the 50s, noticeably improving on and adding to all the traits I personally loved about the 50's.

I'm not even going to try to describe the cliche and vague "musicality" of the system. All I'll say is It's there big time, if you demo this pairing you'll get it. Perhaps this is what's overriding the on paper better suitability of the Roksan.

Of course all of this is down to my own tastes and preferences but I think many others could enjoy it, particularly Kef LS 50 owners. The pairing works and it works very well indeed.

iceman16

ChrisIRL said:
Just a post for anyone considering this pairing. I could find very little info myself prior to giving it a go.

Well, does it work?

It is hands down the best sounding set up I have ever put together, and I have been through quite a few! I don't know if Rega understate the power of their amps but coming from the Roksan Kandy K2 BTs 150 wpc to the Elex-r 72 wpc I was expecting loss of control, weaker bass, reduced soundstage etc but this has not been the case at all.

The sound is fuller, packed with detail and hugely more enjoyable. I'm useless at describing how a system sounds but I strongly suggest anyone interested not to rule this paring out based on specs or forum opinions and go have a demo. Big scale dynamics is the only area where the Roksan initially seems to better the Elex-r but even here I've grown to appreciate the Regas more subtle approach. Dynamic sweeps are packed with detail that I just did not get from the Roksan. I imagine the Roksan could possibly top the Elex-r for outright volume but I've never had the need to push either amp far enough to test this out. Both can go to the boundaries of what I could take and do so without strain or distortion.

I initially feared the Elex-r was a little bright sounding but this genuinely settles down after a few days. I never held much belief in electronics running in time but now I'm convinced. I've had amps previously that I considered too bright and that didn't change so they had to go. The Rega sorted itself out somehow.

The real highlight of the system is the curved ATC SCM11s however. They are amazing. I think anyone who's a fan of Kef LS50s, which I had for just under a year, would truely enjoy the SCM11s. They are a very nice upgrade from the 50s, noticeably improving on and adding to all the traits I personally loved about the 50's.

I'm not even going to try to describe the cliche and vague "musicality" of the system. All I'll say is It's there big time, if you demo this pairing you'll get it. Perhaps this is what's overriding the on paper better suitability of the Roksan.

Of course all of this is down to my own tastes and preferences but I think many others could enjoy it, particularly Kef LS 50 owners. The pairing works and it works very well indeed.

Your LS50 like mine wont produce a scale like floorstand speakers( I use it in my bedroom) But in the price range..they're absolutely superb.. It depends how you use them.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
The 50’s are superb, I'm still a big fan and not knocking them at all. The SCM11’s just improve on everything I liked about them, for my tastes anyway.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The elex r gets great reviews and recently going from a brio r I was keen to hear one. I had read from a forumite or two though that it could still be a bit bright, like I was finding the brio rr, and I wanted to avoid that, and went for the roksan k2bt and then the k3. Luckily the k3 with its better treble than the bt has more texture and is more engaging and revealing, so I'm not too perturbed by your findings, but I will say I had several brio r's that went through the burn in process and yes, they definitely did mellow, every time. More than any other amp I have had. Sounds like a great setup you have now.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Radiorog

Glad you're enjoying your set up too. I followed a lot of your posts with regard the move from the Brio r to the Roksan gear. It was a great move at the time for the LS50’s

The Elex-r and the SCM11’s have a seriously good synergy thing going however, both complimenting each others strengths. I think anyone enjoying similar tastes to ours would love it.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
No hum or buzz from the Elex-r either. The double insulation of the Elex-r eliminates this I think. The only other completely silent amp I had, both from the amp itself and through the speakers was an Arcam A19 which is also double insulated.

SteveR750

If I read your comments correctly, there is a similarity between the KEFs and the ATCs, rather than opposing ends of the sonic spectrum? This seems to be a concensus, and useful for those hunting for new speakers.

I've never heard any of Rega's electronics, but sounds like you found a great match.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
If I read your comments correctly, there is a similarity between the KEFs and the ATCs, rather than opposing ends of the sonic spectrum? This seems to be a concensus, and useful for those hunting for new speakers.

I've never heard any of Rega's electronics, but sounds like you found a great match.

There is a similarity and it is a very good choice for those looking to noticeably enhance the strenghts of LS50s without straying too far from their sonic charactersitics. As mentioned however the amplifier may also have to change to achieve this. The LS50s did improve by moving from the Rega Brio r to the Roksan Kandy K2 BT. However the ATC SCM11s sound far better at the end of the Rega Elex-r vs the Roksan. Recommended power requirements of the SCM11's would suggest otherwise but it is simply not the case to my ears.

The SCM11's have a recommended power requirement of 75 to 300wpc. The Elex-r at 73wpc into 8ohms falls short of this but it drives them incredibly well. Then again ATC's own SIACD integrated, which is regarded as a natural partner for the SCM11s, is only 100wpc so there is more to it than just gunning for 300wpc to make them sound great.

SteveR750

ChrisIRL said:
SteveR750 said:

There is a similarity and it is a very good choice for those looking to noticeably enhance the strenghts of LS50s without straying too far from their sonic charactersitics. As mentioned however the amplifier may also have to change to achieve this. The LS50s did improve by moving from the Rega Brio r to the Roksan Kandy K2 BT. However the ATC SCM11s sound far better at the end of the Rega Elex-r vs the Roksan. Recommended power requirements of the SCM11's would suggest otherwise but it is simply not the case to my ears.?

The SCM11's have a recommended power requirement of 75 to 300wpc. The Elex-r at 73wpc into 8ohms falls short of this but it drives them incredibly well. Then again ATC's own SIACD integrated, which is regarded as a natural partner for the SCM11s, is only 100wpc so there is more to it than just gunning for 300wpc to make them sound great.
Yup, you got it :)

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is a similarity and it is a very good choice for those looking to noticeably enhance the strenghts of LS50s without straying too far from their sonic charactersitics. As mentioned however the amplifier may also have to change to achieve this. The LS50s did improve by moving from the Rega Brio r to the Roksan Kandy K2 BT. However the ATC SCM11s sound far better at the end of the Rega Elex-r vs the Roksan. Recommended power requirements of the SCM11's would suggest otherwise but it is simply not the case to my ears.

The SCM11's have a recommended power requirement of 75 to 300wpc. The Elex-r at 73wpc into 8ohms falls short of this but it drives them incredibly well. Then again ATC's own SIACD integrated, which is regarded as a natural partner for the SCM11s, is only 100wpc so there is more to it than just gunning for 300wpc to make them sound great

Hi ChrisIRL,

Changed a Roksan Caspian for Linn amplification. Got one that's rated at 100w per channel but briefly drove my SCM11s with a Majik DSM which 'only' outputs half of this into 8ohms. Weird thing is, the ATCs still sounded better than when driven by the Caspian. Don't know enough about the technical stuff to offer any kind of explanation here. Beginning to think that ATC and Roksan are not best suited. The ATCs with the right amp however are something else. I just love the sound! Weird thing is that Linn don't tend get a good press with their amps whereas Roksan do. Enjoy your new system!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried to reply to this a couple of days ago Chris but it wouldnt let me cut and paste my reply so i ended up losing it, and now i cant remember what i had said exactly, but rom the reviews i like the sound of the scm 11's and 19's. And think if your have a brio r with more power and much bigger bass then the elex r sounds like a top amp.I dont doubt it sounds amazing, would be interested to hear at my dealer a comparrison with the k3, but would be a bit scared incase im like "D'oh!"

iceman16

radiorog said:
I tried to reply to this a couple of days ago Chris but it wouldnt let me cut and paste my reply so i ended up losing it, and now i cant remember what i had said exactly, but rom the reviews i like the sound of the scm 11's and 19's. And think if your have a brio r with more power and much bigger bass then the elex r sounds like a top amp.I dont doubt it sounds amazing, would be interested to hear at my dealer a comparrison with the k3, but would be a bit scared incase im like "D'oh!"

The Rega brio-r is a very good amp in its owm right..IME I wont bother with the Elex-r as an upgrade. If you can demo the Arcam A29 I suggest

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
radiorog said:

The Rega brio-r is a very good amp in its owm right..IME I wont bother with the Elex-r as an upgrade. If you can demo the Arcam A29 I suggest

Cheers iceman, I'm not currently after an upgrade tho as just upgraded from a brio r to the k3, and very happy. Am just curious to see how the elex sounds . ;-)

iceman16

radiorog said:
iceman16 said:
radiorog said:

Cheers iceman, I'm not currently after an upgrade tho as just upgraded from a brio r to the k3, and very happy. Am just curious to see how the elex sounds . ;-)

Im not a fan of the Roksan( heard them) more power but soundwise they didnt rock the boat for me YMMV.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
radiorog said:
iceman16 said:
radiorog said:

Im not a fan of the Roksan( heard them) more power but soundwise they didnt rock the boat for me YMMV.

+1

TRENDING THREADS