Rega Dac vs Audiolabs 8200CD

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The Rega Dac retails for £500 and the Audiolabs 8200CD for £729.
With a similar number of inputs, which is the better dac?

I would be using the Rega with CD transport of course.
Can you use a bluray players coaxial or optical digital outputs as cd transport, or does it only offer cd transport with hdmi.
Does it differ with the player itself.
In which case, it begs the question, is it worthwhile spending anything above a budget for a cd player as use as cd transport?

Any suggestions as to how I could demo these two side by side, as I cannot find any stockists in London who stock both and can demo.

I read somewhere that some stockists let you try it at home before choosing.
How does that work? Are there any in London?

What hifi rates both products highly and I wish to know which is better for me.

I was also considering the musical fidelity M1 dac, but this has less inputs.

Please, Please advise!

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Cannot really help regarding how to demo these, though listening to them side-by-side must be the only real way of deciding this. If you get the chance I'd be interested in hearing your findings as I am looking at a similar combination of kit (also the Marantz SA Ki Pearl Lite, now £700 and unlike the others here it has an iPod input that takes the digital signal from your iPod/iPhone/etc and SACD playback).

Apparently blu-ray players can work well as CD transports as they have very low jitter. You can, as you say, coonect via either co-axial or optical output.

If you went down the MF M1 route, one option might be at a later date to add the matching M1 CDT (a £600 CD transport), which you can connect to the M1 DAC using the superior balanced XLR connection (this would free up one of the inputs for another source too). If you have an amplifier with balanced inputs the M1 DAC can then be connected via these, which is generally thought to offer better-quality sound. The Audiolab has balanced outputs too I think.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ive just tested the rega dac vs.audiolab 8200cd player.
Both are good (although I havent compared to the cyrus which is supposed to be alot more clinical and detailed- what im after on a budget).
The rega dac is supposed to take some wearing in for results, but here are my findings anyway.

The rega is warm and possesses more presence then the audiolabs.
But the audiolabs sounds brighter even at lower volumes.

I preferrred the sound from the audiolabs, but have decided to buy the rega.
It has more options for upgrading including a choice of cd transport and filters too.
I hope its a good decision and the dac gets better as it wears in.

As for inputs they are more of less the same. So your paying for a cd transport built in, but the rega is a standalone dac unit.

I wish others would post there findings as im eager to know if there are any other competitors at this price range.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The Rega is impressive but you hit the nail on the head in some ways - to my ears the Audiolab offers better clarity and detail. Big selling point of the Audiolab 8200CD is the fact that it also features an excellent CD transport so is far more than just a "DAC with CD player" or "CD player with a DAC" - it's a very accomplished CD player and DAC.

Don't forget also for others reading this thread, the Audiolab 8200DQ was announced at the recent Munich hi-fi show and is another choice if you want the sonic benefits of the 8200CD but as a straight DAC.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Are there any spec differences in quality between the two.
This may help me decide how the audiolabs is better then the rega.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - sounds like they are different rather than better/worse and which to go for depends on system-matching and taste, as well of course on whether you want the CD transport too.

I wonder if the 8200CDQ is out yet and if a review is coming - for not much more than the 8200CD it includes Class A pre-amp and headphone amp - sounds extremely flexible.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
James - I think you've hit the nail on the head in your summing up. Sounds like you need to go and audition, once you've worked out what functionality you're after.

I'm not immediately aware of a dealer in central London who stocks both Rega and Audiolab. I bought most of my Rega gear from Grahams Hi Fi, though I don't think they stock Audiolab products (it may be worth checking with them). Bartletts Hi Fi isn't too far from Grahams and they do stock Audiolab (but not Rega). A back to back audition would obviously be preferable. I believe some Audio T branches stock both brands, although that would mean a trek out of central London.

By the way, the 8200CDQ is already available to buy. I'm sure I read a professional review a little while back, though can't now recall where (may actually have been in a foreign hifi magazine). I'll have a look when I'm home tonight. I believe Audio Affair was referring to the 8200DQ (i.e., the stand alone DAC and pre-amp, which doesn't feature a CD transport). I imagine one of the dealers on the board will be able to confirm when they're expecting their first units of the "DQ".

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

A detailed recent review can be found on www.6moons.com . They review the 8200CDQ, with the various features including as a dac, pre amp and cd player.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS