Rega Dac R

Stonyjim

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for advice. I own an Apollo R CDP that I like the sound signature of. I can still get a Rega DAC -R from a local supplier that they have in stock despite it now been discontinued and think it would compliment and add to the Apollo from reading online.
But I would also want to use it for streaming from a PC and maybe add a streaming transport later on. I believe that the DAC_R is not compatible with Tidal masters files or the file format used by Tidal for their high-res recordings. Can anyone tell me from their own experience if the upgrade is still a worthwhile one and will I be losing out in not having compatibility with the Master's recordings in Tidal?

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
You are losing nothing by not having Tidal masters. The "masters" don't sound any better than regular Tidal Hifi CD quality.
I owned the Rega DAC R for a few years. It is a great DAC. It plays very well with a computer or any other source you may have. If you like the sound of the Apollo, you will like the sound of the Rega DAC R.

Stonyjim

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks so much Sid for the reply. That's sort of what I was hoping to hear. If the streamed content sounds like the Apollo I will be happy I think. As a matter of interest why do you no longer use the Rega and have you found an even better alternative?

Reactions: Surly Sid

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks so much Sid for the reply. That's sort of what I was hoping to hear. If the streamed content sounds like the Apollo I will be happy I think. As a matter of interest why do you no longer use the Rega and have you found an even better alternative?
I bought a Naim ND5 XS streamer DAC to replace the Rega. It is better than the Rega, but much more expensive. The Rega is hard to beat at its price.
If I couldn't afford the Naim gear (I recently upgraded to the NDX2), I would still have been happy with the Rega. It's that good.

D

Deleted member 116933

You are losing nothing by not having Tidal masters. The "masters" don't sound any better than regular Tidal Hifi CD quality.
I owned the Rega DAC R for a few years. It is a great DAC. It plays very well with a computer or any other source you may have. If you like the sound of the Apollo, you will like the sound of the Rega DAC R.

In your opinion.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi, I am looking for advice. I own an Apollo R CDP that I like the sound signature of. I can still get a Rega DAC -R from a local supplier that they have in stock despite it now been discontinued and think it would compliment and add to the Apollo from reading online.
But I would also want to use it for streaming from a PC and maybe add a streaming transport later on. I believe that the DAC_R is not compatible with Tidal masters files or the file format used by Tidal for their high-res recordings. Can anyone tell me from their own experience if the upgrade is still a worthwhile one and will I be losing out in not having compatibility with the Master's recordings in Tidal?

The short answer is your DAC is compatible, but it depends

If you're using something like Audirvana on your computer with tidal, Audirvana will actually do the first unfold through software up to around 24/96hz (with certain music) the software will also shut down/control parts of the computer that make audio sound bad. Sounding airer and more fluid. Yes the tidal streams don't sound as good as natively stored hi-res tracks but their dam close and they certainly sound better than red book (cd) but its not night and day by any stretch even with natively stored tracks but there is certainly more flesh on the bones. A good recording is a good recording though regardless of the format.

If you're still worried about getting your monies worth sign up to qobuz instead, no fancy MQA just straight full fat PCM 24/XXX

Sign up for free trials of the software's and see what you think, let your own ears decide.

Reactions: Stonyjim
D

Deleted member 116933

I certainly agree with you here. That throw away remark was pointless and completely unnecessary. It comes close to demeaning so will be will be watching with interest.

What? a little over the top don’t you think. I really meant nothing by it!

I apologise if some how I caused some sort offensive I truly do @Surly Sid . Just sounded to me something was being made to sound like fact. When clearly not. But again I apologise.

@Alears All the comments made towards me in the past and nothing was done and you know what they are/where, the posts are still up for all to see and very embarrassing for me from a personal stand point yet still there and I clearly explained why I’d like them removed not only from a disability point of view but they were certainly demeaning and belittling comments that there was no need for and have no relevance to the topic in that thread at all. Yet me saying “in your opinion”. Gets this sort of attention.. Let alone Sid’s constant kef ramblings were allowed to fly for weeks and still are from time to time, which contain plenty of inflammatory comments said by all parties, and again all there for all to see. Especially from Sid himself. But hey no apology no anything just allowed to happen yet offended plenty think this need a little perspective on your part.

But hey ive apologised I’ll leave it well alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts