Rega DAC, Audiolab mDac

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I understand that optical has less signal loss then coaxial, so why is it that coaxial is used for higher resolution tracks then.

It would be more sensible to allow the optical port to transmit the higher resolution files to the DAC?

Furthermore, It should be stated that the Audiolab products have more frequent updates ie. firmware.

Finally, I have recently seen a site or company advertising upgrades to the Audiolab 8200CD.

This upgrade includes an overhaul over the internal electronic components with two price options and even includes a short description of what it means sound wise. It has to be pointed out that the cost of the pricier update is the same as purchasing the product!

There is even a claim that after the upgrade, the unit can compare to CD players of £4k+............

Although its alot of money to fork out without being sure of the sonic improvements. And nothing to say over DAC improvements?

Here's the link, your views............

http://www.mackenziehifi.com/audiolab-8200cd-upgrades-1295-p.asp

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The last time I listened to NAD was 20 years ago, and it sounded really dull. It was always advertised with 'we've put all the money on the inside'. Has the brand sound changed, how many years ago did that happened?

:type:

NHL said:
The last time I listened to NAD was 20 years ago, and it sounded really dull. It was always advertised with 'we've put all the money on the inside'. Has the brand sound changed, how many years ago did that happened?

:type:

Nad have produced some very musical amps, certainly wouldn't describe them as "dull". My only gripette is the bass, to my ears, is a little overbearing.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Guess that etched and detailed is more my kind of bag, evert since I first heard the Acoustic Energy in Bournemouth, mid 90's.

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've recently swapped out my Rega DAC and Rega Brio-R for the Audiolab MDAC and 8200P Power Amp. My speakers are Monitor Audio RX1s.

I did enjoy the sound from my Rega DAC, but I felt some detail was missing and was curious if I could achieve a larger soundstage - which is when I started looking into the MDAC seriously.

First I home demoed the MDAC alongside the Rega (Both with the Brio-R), switching inputs instantly gave a very clear indication difference in sound quality. At first I found the MDAC increadibly harsh on the top end and lacking considerably in bass, but I later found out that this was because it was a new unit and had no been burned in. The sound changed considerably over the course of just a couple of days listening, the treble became clear, crisp and detailed. The bass tightened and there was no distortion.

After a couple of weeks comparing both dacs I was struggling to make a decision. I felt that the Rega dac added slightly more emotion to the music and the MDAC was more clinical, at least in most instances. I think at that stage I prefered the sound of the Rega over the MDAC, but the extra MDAC functionality really made me want to investigate further, so I requested an in store demo of the Rega Dac vs the MDAC with different amp combinations.

I very quickly discovered that I was no longer interested in the Rega Dac and Brio-R, compared the the MDAC paired with other amps it sounded distored and a bit fuzzy. I tried 3 other amps with the MDAC and settled on the 8200P for the time being with the intention of upgrading to the lakewest MAMP and MPAX on release.

jimmy.cross

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

good point...there is a very high chance that the MDAC unit I borrowed was not properly run-in, but I could only haveit for one night :-/

I will try to borrow it again...

A

Anonymous

Hello Lee i write you because you own the same setup as me : Roksan Kandy K2 amp+ B&W 685 speakers . I’ve read some users think the MDAC sounds a bit clinical and analytical with this set up, can you let me know your opinion about this? Do you think the Rega DAC is a better match for this setup?.

Thank you very much, your help is very welcome. Kind Regards from Spain

A

Anonymous

Any help is welcome
wave.gif

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I find the Rega DAC amazing but that's in my system, I don't think there is a lot in it to be honest I would say the Rega would offer you a less clinical presentation than the Audiolab but the latter is still an excellent DAC and you won't go wrong with either!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your Help stevebrock, I see your system must have a great synergy with the Rega DAC -Rega Brio R.

Kind Regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spfrank said:
Thanks for your Help stevebrock, I see your system must have a great synergy with the Rega DAC -Rega Brio R.

Kind Regards

yes I'm really happy with my system, it is on most of the day & night, I can't see my self changing anything, I'm just enjoying my music.....CDs & vinyl.

Some vinyl sounds fantastic, some sounds very mediocre but the same can be said for CDs through my DAC.

A

Anonymous

Enjoy your system, too much people would like reach a setup performance satisfaction degree like yours. Talking about too bad quality recordings, we all know technology doesn't make miracles ....:rofl:

Best Regards from Spain

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Spfrank

I have the Rega Dac paired with my Kandy and 685s, this sounds nicer to my ears then the MDAC that said I do have the MDAC with my caspian and it sounds great. The Rega sounds warmer and more natural it sounds good. If i put the MDAC in it sounds more clinical than the rega for sure but it still sounds good.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts