Rega Dac amplifier

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Listened to Rega Dac with a £3000 amplifier (let's not mention any brand). I was not convinced about the Dac. Which £200-£400 amplifier can do the magic?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

If you didn't like the DAC, why are you looking for an amplifier? You'd be better off trying another DAC. Also, what was it specifically about the DAC or amp you didn't like? Too much bass, too forward, too bright, not enough detail etc.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The CD used in the demo was a live recording. I believe that the detail was like any other dac. (The Dac was used in a very expensive setup.)

A

Anonymous

Not sure about any amp doing Magic, but you might want to try the Brio.

Or better still, get the Naim Dac.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused about your post. You tried the Rega DAC with a £3k amp and weren't 'convinced' by the DAC. How do you know which bit wasn't 'convincing'? So now you're looking for alternative amp suggestions at a tenth of the price of what you listened to...on the assumption the Rega DAC is still in the system or not?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I still want the Rega DAC in the system. It was at a dedicated listening room but, as Bodfish says, it might be some other component in the chain which was not to my likening.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I too am a little confused by your original post. Though, as others have said, if your heart is set on the Rega Dac and you're looking for a £200-£400 amp to match the Dac and Rega RS1s, then the Mira or Brio are the obvious choices. I think they're a real bargain at the current prices; particularly, if you're going to pair them with other Rega components.

You're probably aware that the reason the Brio3 and Mira3 are currently on special offer is because Rega are due to release the new versions of these amps in the near future. In fact, details of the new Rega Brio-R are finally starting to filter through and Audio T seem to be advertising it already (£475.95):

http://blog.audiot.co.uk/journal/2011/4/7/rega-announces-rega-brio-r-amplifier.html

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/rega-brio-r-amplifier-2934.aspx

Although, there's no actual release date as yet. I'm certainly intrigued to see and hear the new models when they arrive.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
There's a picture here:

http://decoaudio.blogspot.com/2011/04/rega-brio-r-announced.html

As per the early rumours, looks like it's built to match the Rega Dac. If I was you, I'd hang on until this is released and give it a listen, before you make up your mind.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Great! A matching amp, I'll pair it with Apple Airplay.
smiley-cool.gif

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
NHL - I'm also confused, but assume you meant 'you weren't happy with the overall sound'...
Why not mention the £3000 amp? These hifi forums are all about people posting their opinions, positive and negative - every little helps! (I don't much care for Cyrus gear for example, but WHF still let me post here) ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cold Roses said:
There's a picture here:

As per the early rumours, looks like it's built to match the Rega Dac. If I was you, I'd hang on until this is released and give it a listen, before you make up your mind.

The article mentions the price of the new Brio being quite high compared to the present model. This is what Rega do. (They did it with the RS speakers too). They set a price for the whole product cycle and - barring VAT changes - that is it for the next 3, 4 or 5 years. In the case of the Brio 3, Mira 3 and Apollo and Saturn models they even managed a significant price drop for a generous period of time (about a year I think).

I have read in the past that Rega will buy in all the major components they will need for the life cycle of that product (and a reserve for spares/repairs) to help control prices and maintain supply. It's a very old-fashioned strategy in a world of 'just-in-time' but it means that if you plan to save up for a Rega system in, say, 6 months time then it will still be the same price by the time you come to buy it. (Or cheaper.) Nice long product life too. No fear of them changing the range every year. (That has also been good for re-sale values of Rega kit in the past.)

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Cold Roses said:
There's a picture here:

The article mentions the price of the new Brio being quite high compared to the present model. This is what Rega do. (They did it with the RS speakers too). They set a price for the whole product cycle and - barring VAT changes - that is it for the next 3, 4 or 5 years. In the case of the Brio 3, Mira 3 and Apollo and Saturn models they even managed a significant price drop for a generous period of time (about a year I think).

I have read in the past that Rega will buy in all the major components they will need for the life cycle of that product (and a reserve for spares/repairs) to help control prices and maintain supply. It's a very old-fashioned strategy in a world of 'just-in-time' but it means that if you plan to save up for a Rega system in, say, 6 months time then it will still be the same price by the time you come to buy it. (Or cheaper.) Nice long product life too. No fear of them changing the range every year. (That has also been good for re-sale values of Rega kit in the past.)

I agree it doesn't read very well but knowing the guys at Deco, this won't have been intended as a 'swipe' at Rega. They're very much Rega brand advocates 'despite' stocking some very (very) high end kit.

PS I'm not affiliated with Deco, just a happy, long-standing customer
smiley-smile.gif

Cold Roses said:
There's a picture here:

Hi cold roses

Yes, Rega's new Brio R amp is designed to match the Rega DAC. The Brio R looks very promising :) The Brio R has been a long time coming and i should be receiving my first units within the next few weeks. I can't wait :bigsmile:

Btw, further details on the Brio R are now on Rega's website.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Don't want to flog a dead horse, but I still can't fathom why you have decided the DAC is fine but the amp not, given the DAC has a lot to do with how the amp will sound, so it could be either that you fine less than satisfying.

I'd be trying more than just the Rega DAC on the same amp or, preferably, yours just to make sure, preferably with your own amp or the one in the shop.

Don't discount the possibility it's the sound of the Rega amp you don't like.

TRENDING THREADS