Rega brio r

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
After selling some unwanted items on the internet I know have enough to replace my old Cambridge Audio budget amp with a Rega Brio r.

Just getting a bit twitchy now I’ve got the dosh, and I need convincing I am doing the right thing.

I am going for the RP3 turntable in a couple of months (birthday Present)

Will probably change my Oak finished B&W 685s, want some book shelf speakers in gloss black, any suggestions?

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I set up my turntable for the first time with my Brio-R — and its brilliant!

As for bookshelf speakers — how about Rega RS1?

I've read plenty about the synergy of an all Rega system and it makes sense.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
...want some book shelf speakers in gloss black, any suggestions?
The Rega Brio-R has exceptional tranparency and detail, which combines well with the similarly natured KEF LS50 speakers - gloss black, plus a dash of gold.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there Hifioutlaw, yes built the shelf, need to clean it up and put some wood oil on it and its done.

The budget for speakers £400-800

The thing is I am trying to please my wife at the same time, and trying to put together a system that's not to much in her face, but if its sounds rubbish then I just don't want to bother.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You're doing the right thing. My Brio-R is now 18 months old, and still get's me smiling every time I listen to it. The RP3 is the icing on the cake.

I seriously think (I'm biased of course) that within this budget it's very hard to find another set of equipment that brings the same.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes Spockfish it's true! I've state that many times, for the money there's no better combo!

That's a healthy budget for a set of Speakers Woodchippie, i love Dynaudio sound signature and the Excite X12 with the Brio R have give me moments of sheer delight, endless chills on the back of my spine.

The Dyns X12 are very reaveling, neutral, you can almoust hear what the singer is thinking, won "Product of the year 2010" of Stereophile magazine.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/dynaudio_excite_x12_loudspeaker/index.html

I've demo ATC SCM11, Epos Epic 2 and 5, Dyns x12, MA RX2 and 6, Rega RS3 and 5, and you can gess what were my favorits...

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Yes Spockfish it's true! I've state that many times, for the money there's no better combo!

That's a healthy budget for a set of Speakers Woodchippie, i love Dynaudio sound signature and the Excite X12 with the Brio R have give me moments of sheer delight, endless chills on the back of my spine.

the more I spend on speakers the longer it'll take before a upgrade in the future.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The Monitor Audio RX1s are available in gloss black and work great with the Rega Brio R I had this combo myself but upgraded to RX6s.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Brio R & RP3 owner here also, actually a bit of Rega fan - love the presentation!

Biggest surprise is just how good the speakers sound!

I second what Spockfish said..... For the money I don't think anything comes close to this system....... The RP3 is a seriously good turntable and is well ahead of the RP1......

I still play CDs and to be honest with the Apollo R & DAC they are very analogue sounding!

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
The Monitor Audio RX1s are available in gloss black and work great with the Rega Brio R I had this combo myself but upgraded to RX6s.

yes, quite like the look of those RX1s, good to hear the go with the Rega Brio. How much better are the R6s?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I heard the RS1s with the Rega Brio R amp and thought they were quite veiled, the B&W CM1s were much better, more open and the finish in piano black was much better also. However I would not use the CM1s on a shelf as they need a bit of space as they are a bit bassy.

davidpr

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is one from left field - Usher S520 gloss black speakers.

Very nice and they get better and better over the first few hours of use.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Well gone and done it... Bought the Brio r today, luckily they had stock arrive last Friday.

They recommended the RX1s and the CM1s, but my wife likes the gloss white. I've not decided on what speaker yet

My B&W 685 need new grilles, the cats skegged them, my dealer going to try and blagg some from B&W, so I can sell them easier.

Only steaming at the moment through DAC.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
the A550 sounded wonderfull when I experienced it,. It's a bit better than the A540 but I dont know if it will be an upgrade moving for the Rega Brio R.You'll get a more mellow sound.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Looking good HiFioutlaw, wish I had room by TV would save having 2 systems.

Perhaps I'll let the wife sort it out! Not very high on her list, me thinks..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts